question about keeping two pens and free ranging

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bangor777, Jun 18, 2008.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    i have 13 standard hens and 8 silkies. So far everyone gets along great. here's my question. If the standards and the silkies reach a point where they are not getting along, or if I decide to breed, I might separate the two groups in the coop
    (I have plenty of room, coop is a one room cabin). The thing is I plan on free ranging during the day (right now they have a run as they are only 8 weeks old). Can I let the two groups free range simultaneously and then house them separately at night?
    or do I have to stagger my free range times (which i really don't want to do). Anyone else with separate sleeping quarters but simultaneous free range?

BTW I do know that for breeding I would have to separate breeding pairs (or groups) completely.

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have 3 small coops, they free range all toegther at night (bantams and standards). They MOSTLY go back into the correct "home" in the evening. There is the occasionally scraggler, but for the most part, there is no problem. I would just leave them in the coops for a while so they know where home is.

PS>>>I just went through Bangor, ME 2 weeks ago, is that where you are from?? (Bangor 777) I have been meaning to ask!

Bangor is a lovely town in Maine!
    About 5 years ago, my DH, then BF, and I stopped and stayed so that I could stalk Stephen King! Actually, we just took pics of his house. My absolute hand down fav author. Started reading Night Shift at 14 and never stopped reading his, although I did start sleeping on my parents floor again around 15 [​IMG] . The two ARE RELATED! Now I am 31 and I STILL get to excited when a new book comes out ( I have read all his old stuff). But Bangor really is a great town.

But I digress.................

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  3. GallowayFarms

GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    If you aren't breeding them. You should be able to free range them together and house them in different places at night.

But if you plan to breed you might just free range them every other day. Let one set out Mon and the other on Tues etc.

Right now I have barred rocks with some partridge cochins and they seem to be doing alright. But I want to breed the partidges and since I don't have a barred roo I can keep them all together. The barred seem to guard the little guys.

Good Luck

Nick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by