Question about LA2000

crcgirl93

Chirping
Mar 11, 2014
Can anyone tell me if LA2000 has a bad odor? I'm getting ready to dose a chicken and I noticed that the medication has a strong rancid odor. This is my first time using it so I just want to double check and make sure it's ok. It is NOT expired.

Thanks!

Meant to type LA200 - not LA2000. It's an antibiotic - oxytetracycline I was going to use it on a hen that has a resistant bubbly eye. Tylan has not worked. Anyone?? I want to be sure this is normal before I use it.

Last edited:
I don't know much about antibiotics as far as which ones are the best to treat resistance, etc. But if you are questioning the rancid odor at all, IMO I wouldn't use it. I would get some fresh. I know the date hasn't expired, but it's possible if it has ever been opened/used or exposed to hot or cold temps it may have degraded and gone bad.

Meant to type LA200 - not LA2000.  It's an antibiotic - [COLOR=545454]oxytetracycline[/COLOR]  I was going to use it on a hen that has a resistant bubbly eye.  Tylan has not worked.  Anyone??  I want to be sure this is normal before I use it. 

If you have Tylan 50 you could try giving a higher dose, something like 0.5ml per pound orally twice a day.

Is the bubbly eye her only symptom?

-Kathy

Can anyone tell me if LA2000 has a bad odor?  I'm getting ready to dose a chicken and I noticed that the medication has a strong rancid odor.  This is my first time using it so I just want to double check and make sure it's ok. It is NOT expired.

Thanks!

Call the mfg. or return it.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy....I might try the higher dose of Tylan. Yes, bubbly eye is her only symptom. Otherwise she is healthy, clear nostrils, her other eye is clear and she is a good weight. This has been going on for months!!! I've tried several things.

Back
Top Bottom