1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about Malathion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arianna, Oct 29, 2010.

1. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    In my book "Storey's Guide to Raising Poultry" says to do a Malathion bath for lice. I bought a Spectracide brand Malathion liquid (50% Malathion, 50% Other ingredients, says also contains Xylene range aromatic solvent" but because is not made for poultry it doesn't say how much to mix with water for poultry. Also I don't know if I have the right product. I found online a product that is called "Malathion 57 EC" and this one has poultry on the bottle but there is no sale choice only some manufacturer info about the product.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

No idea, but will give you a bump and maybe someone who does know will see this.

I dust with Sevin and then re-dust in 7 to 10 days to kill the nits who have hatched. Do not forget to dust your coop also.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Here it says to not use Malathion directly on chickens.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/malathion-50-insecticide-can.html

Maybe someone with actual experience can chime in.

I agree with HorseFeatherz NV, treat with sevin, or poultry dust and treat coop and living area; then retreat, and maybe again.

Good luck

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by