question about mixed "flock"

mamabear_eisenhauer

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 9, 2011
My husband and I have five chicks, and today just started discussing the plans to build a coop, when he said that he thinks two of my chicks won't be able to go in with the other three girls because of the size difference.

Here's what we have:
2 female red sexlinks, one is 4 weeks old, one is 3 weeks.
1 giant cochin, about 3 weeks. We think it's a girl, but not sure yet.
2 silkies, one about 4 days old, one maybe 6-7 days old. not super sure but they are definitely very young. also not sure about their gender.

If the cochin or silkies turn out to be roos, we won't be keeping them. I plan on maintaining between 4-5 hens total.

So here's my question. The older chicks will be ready relatively soon to go out to the coop, and obviously it will be longer before the silkies are ready. Will we be able to house the silkies with the sexlinks and cochin, or will the size difference cause a problem?

They will be fine. I have Dutch which are about 1/3 to 1/4 the size of my Silkie Roo and they are all together. In with my huge rir rooster, who is 2-3x the size of the Silkie. Enough space, food, water and time is needed for them to get along.

Quote:
That brings up another question then....I probably should move this to the coop building forum, but since I'm here...

We are thinking of building the coop itself 5' wide by 3' deep by 2.5' high. We wound up with those dimensions to fit the space we have. The nestboxes will be mounted on the outside of the coop, and there will be a 7'x3' run underneath the coop. They will also be able to free range in the yard. Will that be enough space for 5 hens, if two of them are bantams?

I have all my chickens in the same pen, and my ducks. They don't seem to care about size difference once the pecking order is peck out any way

Quote:
That brings up another question then....I probably should move this to the coop building forum, but since I'm here...

We are thinking of building the coop itself 5' wide by 3' deep by 2.5' high. We wound up with those dimensions to fit the space we have. The nestboxes will be mounted on the outside of the coop, and there will be a 7'x3' run underneath the coop. They will also be able to free range in the yard. Will that be enough space for 5 hens, if two of them are bantams?

In regards to coop height... Remember that sometimes YOU will need to get in there... I made my first coop too low and it was 4 feet high... you might want to rethink the dimensions a bit. My 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom