1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about mottled coloring

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SpeckledPullet, Dec 16, 2010.

1. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I was told recently that mottled cockerals are well known for not coloring up much until after they're a year old or older. Is this true?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    It was with our Mottled Java's. Though they were hatchery stock, that might make a difference. [​IMG]

3. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Quote:Thanks! You know, I didn't even think to ask the lady who told me this if she had hatchery stock or not. I don't "think" she did, but I don't know her well enough to say for sure.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The way I see it - Mottling doesn't officially show up until their second feathering (a few months old) Then after that, their mottling will look about the same until their next molt, and so on from there - The white will get bigger.

And of course, there's the whole thing of hatchery mottling vs good mottling, and slow growers (Javas) vs normal growth (Games, etc)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by