Question About Muscovy Crosses

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Smartie_Pants, May 14, 2010.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I have two female muscovys setting right now. One has about eight eggs, and one has about 30! [​IMG]

They layed their eggs in great places, and it took a few weeks for me to find them. I have two males, a big male muscovy named Big Louie, and a magpie named Lonley Boy who has since gone missing and never returned. [​IMG]

If the ducklings happen to be LB's, I need someone to explain the who mule thing to me. They aren't fertile, but do they lay eggs? Need info please! Also, is it apparent from the start if they are mixes?

2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    I don't know if the difference between the ducklings will be apparent, but I would imagine there would be at least a few that stand out. And you're right, most of the time the eggs will be infertile. Very rarely there could be a fertile egg, but it is unlikely. Hens will lay, but from what I hear the eggs would be on the small side and may not be prolific. This is all information I have read, not experienced, because I am somewhat interested in mules in the future.

3. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    It doesn't really matter whether they are fertile, because I prefer not to hatch them anyway, just eat them. I actually got rid of most of my chickens and ducks a few months ago, then I had three chickens and two ducks go broody on me at the same time. I don't have the heart to take away the eggs and make them set on nothing, so I'm letting them hatch. I know a few people who would be more than will to take all I want to give them, so its all good I guess.

4. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    When the cross is a scovy duck and nonscovy drake, the ducks will be small, sound like a nonscovy duck and lay small infertile eggs. The drakes will be large, sound like a scovy drake. The ones I have look more like the nonscovy drake dad. No red carunkling, no drake feather on the drakes, more of the body build of the non scovy but still have hints of the scovy looks. Very pretty ducks........ Oh yes, and they fly great. Go anywhere they want to, but usually stay home.

5. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I'm really hoping that my scovy drake is the dad. I really think he is, becuase the scovys pretty much kept off by themselves, and my other ducks (the magpie drake and three female crosses) kept to themselves. Sometimes the magpie would venture over toward the scovy girls, but Big Louie would send him packing every time, and occasionally beat the tar out of him when he just wouldn't get the message through his thick ducky skull! LOL. Boys, they're the same in every species!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by