Question about Muscovy Curuncles...

FarmGirl21

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
WA
do they look scabby when they're 'expanding'?

I have a female that has 2 reddish, scabby spots(new scab looking)/lines at the very back point of her mask. it's on both sides, at first i thought something got her an scratched her face up but it's in the same spot on both sides. i just wanna know if this is normal, i've never seen it like this on my other ducks...or maybe i'm just noticing it more on her because shes white....?

Last edited:
First of all they aren't "carbuncles" (which is an infectious boil), they're called curuncles, but that was funny.
wink.png

They shouldn't be "scabby".
Can you post a pic?

LOL, oops! yeah, that is kinda funny...better change it.. I will get a picture of her later today and post it up. thanks.

Here's some pictures of the girl in question...they're a little bit blurry but she just wouldnt hold still for long. It is the same way on both sides, it doesnt look as yucky as it did the other day, but its still weird.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but looks like a sore to me.
Try putting some Bag Balm on it.
Thats the only thing that might stick
or a spray like Blu-Kote but you'd have to have a helper cover her eye so you don't get any spray in her eye.

Thanks, it's in a totally weird spot so i wasnt sure what it was. I know i've got bag balm around here, ill get some of that on her later today. Thanks Again
smile.png

Got to thinking maybe Bag Balm might not be a good idea.
Its kind of mentholy and could be irritating if it seeped into the eye.
Maybe antibiotic ointment would be better.
It doesn't look that bad and may very well get better on its own.

Back
Top Bottom