Question about my broody hen

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
She has been sitting on eggs for about 4 days now and has only pooped once on day 1. I had broody hens before and they always pooped at least once a day. Is this normal or should i worry? Last broody hen i had i took her outside 2 times a day to poop because she refused to go in her box but then again she wasn't sitting on eggs. Maybe i should do the same for this one or will that affect the eggs too much?

I always pick my girls up once a day and set them in front of the water and feed and sprinkle some feed in front of them to get them out of their daze. They usually will get up, peck around a good bit and then pass that large nasty poop before heading back to the nest.
My girls are kept separate from each other so I can see if they have gotten off the nest that day. I then scoop up the nasty after covering it with sawdust to cut the horrid smell and dispose of it in the waste heap out back.
I have read so many posts about people's chickens not eating or getting off the nest that I take the time to look after my girls. I only have a few that go broody for me and hatch out and I want them to live a long time. They are good to me so I try to return the favor. Good broody girls are hard to come by for me.

It really depends on the individual broody hen. Some eat and drink more often than others do.

I always keep a close eye on the situation and provide helps of moisture, whether it's strawberry treats or watermellon, when i feel it's time broody mom needs some help.

But actually, she will get er done on her own, as long as fresh water and feed is provided close to the nest.

bigzio

She is nesting right in front of the food and water. I have her in the house in a box i built for raising babies. She just refused to poop in her box so i just took her outside and voila! lol Looks like shes gonna be just like my last brody hen and requires to go outside 2 times a day. I only have her off the nest for as long as it takes to do her business and then return her immediately to the eggs she is sitting on. I guess i am still wondering if this will affect the eggs in any way? I would think not but im just not sure. Thank you for the responses
big_smile.png

Last edited:
You're Welcome....as long as the eggs are fertile, then the short trip away from the nest won't be a problem! Way to go....I simply let mother nature take her course.

If this works for you and your broody mom, then who could question that!
D.gif

bigzio

For my last hatch I had a broody and an incubator going at the same time. My broody was off the nest usually 2x a day for 1/2 hour to an hour. I really wondered if her eggs would hatch. Well, she hatched all her eggs and they hatched around the same time as those in the incubator. Very healthy lively chicks too.

Back
Top Bottom