Question about My goat.

Iamaqte

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Riegelsville, Pa
I got a goat about a month ago. He is a large mix breed. Very Healthy. Well he has drasticly lost some weight. We keep fresh hay and feed with him and he just doesnt seem to be eating. Does anyone have any ideas.

Just to Note: He did hurt his leg about 3 weeks ago. We think he twisted his ankle. I dont know if that has anything to do with it. He is an escape artisit so we chained him in the pen, so he cant get out. I hate doing that to him.. but he ended up across the creek and down the road 5 times now.

I am planning on putting him a boxed in area in the barn and make him rest so his ankle heals up good. I am thinking with him being confined and not getting a lot of exercise he should gain so weight, right? I figured I can take him for walks in between him being confined, but I just dont know what else to do.

Any one have any ideas?

Hey... from what I understand, goats are social animals....he is probably just lonely. Get him a friend....My two girls play all day long and they are so funny to watch. Good luck
Tink

Have you wormed him recently? It could be an overload of worms or possible cocci. The stress of moving to a new home may have compromised his immune system and made him more susceptible.

I called the lady i got him from.. she said she just wormed him...

My husband said it could be the stress of moving.. but its been over a month.

Here's a good goat website: www.goatweb.com Click on the "coffeeshop" to get to their forum.

Here are my adorable little goats:

farm190.jpg

make sure his feed has amonium chloride in it to help keep down the rist of getting u.c, urinary claria cant spell it. its probley just stress.

Is he castrated? Breeding season in upon us and that can affect behavior.

Has there been a change in feed?

Is he acting weak or lethargic?

My goats go through cycles where they seem to get moody and drop weight especially if their schedule is off.

When that happens, I give them some goat drench to perk them back up and give them a little extra sweet stuff in their feed.

Goats are social animals and do not do well alone. We have 2 bevause the first one was so lonley and cried if no one was with her. I would get another one to keep him company.

The goatweb coffeeshop is a great sourse of info.

I had 2 angora goats, and just after worming they would come down really unwell. Even with correct dosage.
Try some molassis on some bread or something tasty, grapevine leaves etc.
hope he gets better, have you tried to wrap his leg with a stretchy bandage?

Back
Top Bottom