Question about my marans eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NancyDz, Feb 5, 2009.

1. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I have two marans hens that started laying in November. When they first started laying
    I would get very dark brown eggs, now the eggs are a little lighter but have darker spots all
    over them. Is this normal? They don't consistently lay the spotted eggs but probably 3 out of 5 eggs are the spotted ones. I have 2 australorps and 2 easter eggers also but the marans eggs are the only spotted ones.

Thanks!

Nancy

2. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Mine lay some very dark ones and then as the weeks go by I get lighter ones with dark freckles a couple of times a week. I tried changing grit and feed etc and it makes no difference so I think its normal.

3. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    Hi,
    I know you are probably looking for an answer from someone with more experience. However, I have read that the freckles are actually a desireable trait! What is the background color of the egg? Is it still relatively dark? I think from all the pics I have looked at and breeder descriptions that this is pretty normal and even desireable. [​IMG] I don't think it is something you can change? There is my two cents. I am sure others with more knowledge can set me straight:caf but it doesn't seem like something to be concerned with,,,hopefully![​IMG]

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, it's perfectly normal, and nope, you can't change it. That's one of the things I love about my Marans eggs.

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Thanks for the responses. It doesnt really bother me but some of the friends I give eggs to
    have asked if they are supposed to be like that.. and I didnt know what to answer hehehee

Nancy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by