Question about my silkies hatching eggs - is it too late to start?

jenesis536

Songster
9 Years
Oct 3, 2010
CA
I have 4 silkies who seem to always be broody. One starts and within a week or 2 all of the others start up, too. The first one stops being broody and slowly but surely the rest finish their cycle and I get a week or two of no broodies and then it starts all over again. I've never put eggs under them but figured it would be fun to try. I got 12 bantam cochin eggs and go figure - I get them in the mail today and the last broody girl was out running around.

I put 6 in her usual spot, and when I went out later she was sitting on them. I had to resituate her a little but she settled on all of them.

My question is - since she was/is on the tail-end of her broody period, will she extend it for the sake of hatching those eggs or will she lose interest in being broody and abandon them. Should I take them and store them and hope one of the other girls goes broody in the next week? I still have the other 6 stored pointy end down in an egg container in the garage hoping one of the others will start up.

Back
Top Bottom