Question About Nesting Boxes...

Mine are doing the same thing and one of my hens is laying. The coop I bought said big enough for six, however it is super small and the roosting bars are the same height as the nesting boxes. What should I do, I can't get another coop right now. My fiance could probably build one but needs plans for one, but I can't do a extravagant one as he had back surgery a month ago. Help!!
It looks a lot like the coop I bought 8 years ago. I had 4 tiny Dutch bantams in it. But its really too small for 6 Wyandotte’s. This coops come in several sizes. What is you’re size?

This is what I did to expand for more chickens:
6910B391-AC3A-4FDD-B74C-067693887649.jpeg

4236F521-623E-4576-83A3-EF89A7331300.jpeg

I opened the side on the right and made an extension to the old coop. There I made a poop board on 2’ height and 2 roost bars 0.5’ above it.
The poop board is above the pot with sand where they can take a sand-bath even when its raining. I made lots of ventilation and light in it. (Closing north and east side in winter).
The chickens can choose where to sleep. But they prefer the extension, except for 1, who sometimes likes to sleep solitary. And in the old coop she sleeps on a roost I added myself which is 1’ heigher as the original roosts.

p.s. Its made with all kind of left overs. The posts / construction timber for the frame were from plans to build a room on our attic which we never build. The wrc was a left over from building a bicycle shed. And the glass/plexiglass were from a table and a left over from an exibition. The hwc was a left over from a rabbit-run. The black ‘paint’ is natural: a fungi that conserves wood (Xhylo). And I got it for free in return for making a web page. I only had to buy hardware like screws and hinges.

Last edited:
It looks a lot like the coop I bought 8 years ago. I had 4 tiny Dutch bantams in it. But its really too small for 6 Wyandotte’s. This coops come in several sizes. What is you’re size?
Im not sure the exact size except it is small. I have a Rhode Island Red, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Wyandotte, and a favorolle. They are just over 19 weeks.
View attachment 2354142

View attachment 2354143
I opened the side on the right and made an extension to the old coop. There I made a poop board on 2’ height and 2 roost bars 0.5’ above it.
The poop board is above the pot with sand where they can take a sand-bath even when its raining. I made lots of ventilation and light in it. (Closing north and east side in winter).
The chickens can choose where to sleep. But they prefer the extension, except for 1, who sometimes likes to sleep solitary. And in the old coop she sleeps on a roost I added myself which is 1’ heigher as the original roosts.

p.s. Its made with all kind of left overs. The posts / construction timber for the frame were from plans to build a room on our attic which we never build. The wrc was a left over from building a bicycle shed. And the glass/plexiglass were from a table and a left over from an exibition. The hwc was a left over from a rabbit-run. The black ‘paint’ is natural: a fungi that conserves wood (Xhylo). And I got it for free in return for making a web page. I only had to buy hardware like screws and hinges.

Here are the specifications
View attachment 2354142

View attachment 2354143

Here are the specifications

Attachments

• 20200930_105058.jpg
    20200930_105058.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1
This is way too small for 6 Wyandotte’s.
Can you make an extension to the coop for more space to roost?

Or close the hwc with windows and wooden panrls, make a poop board an a few roosts behind de door.
If you put the coop outside the run with a pop door opening to the run you can easily enlarge the coop with a second run area.
Make this second run as extension to the coop with a roof, safe for all predators with 0.5” hwc.

This is way too small for 6 Wyandotte’s.
Can you make an extension to the coop for more space to roost?

Or close the hwc with windows and wooden panrls, make a poop board an a few roosts behind de door.
If you put the coop outside the run with a pop door opening to the run you can easily enlarge the coop with a second run area.
Make this second run as extension to the coop with a roof, safe for all predators with 0.5” hwc.
I dont have six Wyandotte's. I have four hens, Rhode Island Red, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Wyandotte and a favorolle.

I dont have six Wyandotte's. I have four hens, Rhode Island Red, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Wyandotte and a favorolle.
Sorry. I got confused bc the OP has 6 Wyandotte’s. To avoid such misunderstandings its recommended to start you’re own thread.
But either way for 4 normal sized chickens the roosting area is very small too. If possible I advice to make the roosting area more spacious.

Sorry. I got confused bc the OP has 6 Wyandotte’s. To avoid such misunderstandings its recommended to start you’re own thread.
But either way for 4 normal sized chickens the roosting area is very small too. If possible I advice to make the roosting area more spacious.
Sorry, my bad.

View attachment 2354142

View attachment 2354143

The size is 4' X 6'. I think it's bigger than that one in the pictures.

I have 6 young hens who aren't quite laying yet. Every night they cram themselves into their nesting boxes. There is a TON of poop in there. I don't want eggs sitting in that, of course. Is there a way to discourage this, or will they just stop pooping in there when they start laying? Any info is appreciated.
(Here's a picture of the setup.)View attachment 2353543
How are you’re chickens doing now? Are they roosting? Did they start laying this autumn?

Back
Top Bottom