Question about nesting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goatkeepers, Jun 4, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Our three RIRs have a nice house with a roost and a bit higher their nesting boxes. They are about 2 1/2 months old but they have not once gone into the nesting boxes. DOH (roughly) followed the box dimensions I gave him (found them here on this site somewhere) and they have jumped up on the perch but they don't ever fly into the boxes. We know that for sure because we piled a mound of the pine shaving bedding in the middle of each box to see if they go in it. If they would, the mounds would have gotten disturbed. [​IMG] Tricky, huh? [​IMG] Anyways, is it normal for them to not be in the boxes yet? Do they only seek them out when it's time to lay? I am just wondering if they can't get to them or something...
    Thanks,
    Nina

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    You really don't want them using the nest boxes until they are ready to start laying. If they get into the habit of roosting/sleeping in them, you will end up with alot of poop-covered eggs.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, what Dawn said! Many people keep their nest boxes covered until it's time for the pullets to start laying eggs and then open them up and put a fake egg or golf ball in their to encourage the girls to use them to lay they eggs. So - be happy they're not using them now.

If I read your post right you say that your nest boxes are higher than your roost? That's not a good thing. You always want your roosts higher than the nest boxes or the chickens will likely chose to roost in the nest boxes and then you get the poopy eggs.

4. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks you two for the replies. I guess I should be happy then that they aren;t using the boxes yet. [​IMG]

Well, it's a little hard to explain, but the roost is just a tad lower than the 2x4 that makes the front of the nest box. I guess all is well then and they will find the nest box when they are ready?

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Wow, I did the same thing with my nesting boxes. We piled a mound also. I'm glad you put this on here. I will need to cover my boxes to. Thanks.

When did your hatch? My chicks hatched on 3/23. 13 RIR's and 5 RIW's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by