Question About New Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rose66, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    My chicks from McMurray were delivered early this morning! All of them were doing great, drinking, eating, and running around. But now there are a couple who don't look right. They are standing with their head straight up and I've seen a bubble coming out of their mouths. I wonder if they drank too quickly or too much and got some water in their lungs. Is that possible? If that is the problem, is there anything I can do to help them?

Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Probably shipping stress, I am guessing, if they are looking bad.

You may wish to use the sugar water recipe. There is also a super stressed recipe (with more sugar) near the bottom of the page:
    https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

3. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Thanks for replying. I am using the sugar water. Now there is only one who is not doing well. She will drink water if I put here up there to it but she won't eat. She's very weak and just lays down mostly. I expect she will pass on sometime today. All the others are doing great though.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would dip her beak every hour if you can in the water and you may get her to pull through. Sometimes shipping is very hard on them.

You are welcome!

I hope she gets better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by