question about olive eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsfarmchick1, Mar 1, 2011.

1. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chirping

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I have a mixed hen that lays a green egg...I also have a Black copper marans rooster. If I incubate eggs from them, will I get an olive egg layer?

2. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Songster

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    My understanding an oe is made by a blue egg layer and a dark brown egg bird. It's worth a try tho

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Green x Dark Brown will give at least a 50% chance of a good dark olive, yes. [​IMG]

4. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Songster

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Do it!

Especially if your BCM is from dark egg lines, it should work out for you.

Is your hen pea combed? If so, look for her pea combed daughters to be your olive eggers. The straight combed girls will probably lay brown.

I love the olive eggers. And the green eggers, and blue, and pink, and chocolate.... Must have one of each!

5. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chirping

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    Do it!

Especially if your BCM is from dark egg lines, it should work out for you.

Is your hen pea combed? If so, look for her pea combed daughters to be your olive eggers. The straight combed girls will probably lay brown.

I love the olive eggers. And the green eggers, and blue, and pink, and chocolate.... Must have one of each!

Oh no, my sister warned me that this "chicken thing" would get out of hand - looks like it's about to! I looked up what a pea comb is (newbie here) and she seems to be pea combed (3 small ridges). Thanks for the advice.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: