Question about orpingtons

cukooformarans

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Alabama
Ok I definitely DO NOT want to cause any kind of tension here, but I am just trying to understand the difference between the imported orpingtons and USA orpingtons. I'm not asking which is better than the other, as I realize there will be different opinions. Just requesting some factual information on the difference so I can make an educated decision of which one is best for us. Thanks in advance to all the people more knowledgeable than me who respond to this thread!!!
smile.png

Okay...WITHOUT causing anyone to have a hissy fit here ya go

English Orps are shorter in stature, a bit more rounded in the body, and heavier fluffed than American Orps. Aside from that...they are orps in temperament and egg laying equally.

The choice between the two is purely personal preference on what you like to look at.

Last edited:
Thanks! So, theoretically they would be equally good at laying and good mothers?? Are they comparable in weight? I'm more interested in the utility really than anything.

In my experience and what I'm reading from other's on byc is the UK type are not as good at laying and also have challenges with fertility. They both have good temperaments and both like to go broody. I find their weights comparable.

Back
Top Bottom