1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about oyster shell

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kara_leigh, Aug 7, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I have a mix of age groups, and they all free range. I really can't control who eats where or what, so until they are all old enough to lay, they will be eating grower and I will offer oyster shell.

My question is, will it hurt the younger chickens if they eat the oyster shell? My oldest chickens are just getting old enough to lay so I want to start offering it to them, by my other ones are 13 and 11 weeks old. Just like the food, though, I don't know how to offer it free choice to the oldest ones and not have the younger ones eat it too.

Thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Just set it out in a separate dish, the hens will get what they need. Some chicks might try it, but it won't hurt at their ages.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They're just chickens.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to feed them, because they will turn out fine no matter what you do

4. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    x2
    Quote:

5. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Thank you!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by