Question about "packing peanuts"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cicene mete, Jan 26, 2009.

1. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    I plan to get some more chickens from Ideal this spring. If I have them vaccinated against Marek's disease, the male "packing peanuts" would not be vaccinated, correct?

On a related note, is it possible to buy the vaccine and vaccinate one's own chickens against Marek's?

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Good question, I'm not sure of either answer. You could email Ideal and ask, but I assume they don't vaccinate packing peanuts. I emailed them yesterday and they emailed me back within a couple hours about a question.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    The only way your 'peanuts' will be if you pay for it. You can get vaccine but i usualy come in very lg quanity's and is not a good idea(a lot of waste)

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Yes, you can vaccinate your own chicks. It can be difficult to get the vaccine. It needs to be shipped under refrigeration and the packing material costs about as much as the vaccine. Check your local supplier of veterinary goods, i.e. the place you get your feed or places that would also have medication for horses and such. The vaccine is around $20.00 and comes in two containers that you have to mix together. It comes with instructions. I vaccinate my own chicks.

5. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    That's good to know. I'll check with my feed store, and I'll e-mail Ideal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by