Question about "packing peanuts"

cicene mete

Songster
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
I plan to get some more chickens from Ideal this spring. If I have them vaccinated against Marek's disease, the male "packing peanuts" would not be vaccinated, correct?

On a related note, is it possible to buy the vaccine and vaccinate one's own chickens against Marek's?

Good question, I'm not sure of either answer. You could email Ideal and ask, but I assume they don't vaccinate packing peanuts. I emailed them yesterday and they emailed me back within a couple hours about a question.

The only way your 'peanuts' will be if you pay for it. You can get vaccine but i usualy come in very lg quanity's and is not a good idea(a lot of waste)

Yes, you can vaccinate your own chicks. It can be difficult to get the vaccine. It needs to be shipped under refrigeration and the packing material costs about as much as the vaccine. Check your local supplier of veterinary goods, i.e. the place you get your feed or places that would also have medication for horses and such. The vaccine is around $20.00 and comes in two containers that you have to mix together. It comes with instructions. I vaccinate my own chicks.

Back
Top Bottom