1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

question about plucking cornish crosses

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bonelesswhitemeat, May 23, 2011.

1. bonelesswhitemeat

bonelesswhitemeat In the Brooder

May 2, 2011
    hi,
    I understand hot water to loosen the feathers ( and clean the bird?)
    do i use detergent ( like dawn? ) and how much?
    also wouldnt dunking it in cold water afterwards constrict the skin (feather follicles)
    back up?
    thanks........... [​IMG]

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I use just a few drops in 20 gallons of water. As for cold water constricting, not sure. I'm guessing you read that in Frugals butchering sticky. I did that when I first starting processing to prevent the skin from tearing in the plucker. Since then I have found that if you lower the water temp a few degrees and scald another 10 seconds or so, skin tearing is not an issue, so I no longer do that.

3. bonelesswhitemeat

May 2, 2011
    Thank you..
    So how long DO I keep it in the hot water?
    thanks again

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    In my 3 gallon pot I use for quick culls it gets heated to 150 degrees, and less than a teaspoon of lemon Joy. It doesn't take much. Soap acts as a "surfactant", which lowers the surface tension and makes it easier to "wet" things, like feathers. 60-75 seconds for the scald works well for us.

I haven't found a reason to cool a bird after scalding and prior to plucking. We'll rinse with warm water and pluck any hanger's on. Only after gutting to they get a chill.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed Free Ranging

That's something you just have to play by ear...dunk, try the feathers, repeat if necessary. I usually dunk and swish for about 20 seconds but that varies as the water temp fluctuates.

6. bonelesswhitemeat

May 2, 2011
    ok

thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by