Which hatching method is preferred?

• Using an incubator?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Placing eggs under a broody hen?

• Depends on weather/time of year.

• Total voters
Because most people that let the hen do it never worry about it very few end up on this part of the forum, this part of the forum is skewed to mostly people that incubate. Its like going to a sports bar as polling people about what is there favorite game. Assuming you don't pick a game night you should get a accurate poll. But if you go on Superbowl night your poll will be skewed.

I would guess that if you did a poll just like this in the random ramblings section it would come out closer to 50/50 an that would be more accurate.

I prefure the broody, if she's in the mood. She can't hold as many eggs as the bator but she turns them, keeps the natural temp needed, broods them and works them into my flock with out effort
smile.png

The incubator is all on me. I can use it whenever I want but I have to have the heatlamp for brooding, their own special place, teach them to eat and drink and socialize them into the flock (which can be more difficult).

several years ago my husband and I decided to try and suplement our income by raising chickens. We bought 5 breeds of chicks from a hatchery and built nesting and brooder boxes, keeping the breeds seperate. Then I searched and found the incubator that would give us the most bang for the buck (sportsman 1502). When chicks started to lay, we were able to put in 96 eggs per week. at the end of the 3rd week we had sooo many babies. We were adding an additional 250 to 300 per week with just a sign at the end of the road. So I guess if you are in it for the money an incubator is the way to go.

I prefer broodies. But that's all I've used for the past 40 years. Until this year. This year I found BYC and all you hatching addicts made me lose my mind and build an incubator which I've used twice this past Spring. But I still prefer broodies............
But my incubator is sitting empty in the barn right now...............
barnie.gif

Both options have their merits - a good quality incubator with a battery backup power supply can prevent eggs being lost in a power outage

Back
Top Bottom