Question about processing adult ducks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Nu Chix To Cash, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Nu Chix To Cash

Nu Chix To Cash Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    I've tried to do as much research as possible but I have a few questions I haven't found answers to I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have 6 adult pekin (males) I'd like to try to butcher this upcoming weekend. Most of them were born in late March (3/16 & 3/30) but a few were born in April (4/25).

Do adult ducks need to be process and/or cooked any differently then the 7-8 week old ducklings?

Do they taste any different?

Also - is wax a must?

I have purchased shrink bags to store them in. How long would you wait before putting them in the shrink bags? Can I shrink bag them the same day I process them and then let them sit in the fridge for a day or two before freezing?

Any other tips/hints you guys have to make this go smoother would be appreciated.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The meat should be fine to eat just like you eat any other duck.

You don't need duck wax if the ducks are fully feathered. It's only the pin feathers that are difficult to hand pluck.

Get them completely cooled before you bag them. Then they can age inside the packaging.

3. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Oregon Blue, pin feather question. On silver appleyards what is the best age to butcher to avoid the pin feathers? Think mine are around 14- 15 wks old. They sure are pretty but I have 7 drakes over 2 lovely ladies!!! Eating a bag of feed every 2 days I think, so time to thin out the boys.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you feel the breast of the bird, you can feel if there are pin feathers or not.

There should be periods without pin feathers sometime between 6 1/2 - 10 weeks and again 6-10 weeks later. You should be getting very close to a period without pins. if they aren't there right now. Go grab one and see if you can feel the pin feathers. They are very obvious.

You can butcher while there are pin feathers, but it is a project to hand pluck at that time. Duck wax will take pin feathers right off, clean as can be.

5. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Thanks! I will check them out-- once the rain stops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by