Question about rabbits?

May 9, 2020
Clark County, KY
We currently have a pair of New Zealand White rabbits and a litter of their babies.
The plan is to keep a doe from that litter and bring in another male.
We are wanting to add some color by bringing in a different male.
What would the color patterns be from a white doe and black male? Would some be spotted?

We currently have a pair of New Zealand White rabbits and a litter of their babies.
The plan is to keep a doe from that litter and bring in another male.
We are wanting to add some color by bringing in a different male.
What would the color patterns be from a white doe and black male? Would some be spotted?
You will probably get black bunnies from that crossing, although there is a chance of various other colors.

Spotting is caused by a particular gene that a solid black rabbit does not have. It is possible that the white doe could have the gene for white spotting, but I think it is not very likely.

Because of the way the genes work, the white could be carrying almost any color gene that can exist in rabbits-- but you can't tell what, until you breed to a non-white and see what you get. Black is dominant over many of the other things that could be carried by the whites, so there is a good chance of many bunnies being black.

Here is a quote from someone who did a cross like that back in 2016:
I bred a new zealand white rabbit to a new zealand black rabbit. There are a couple white kits, a couple black kits, an agouti, and a steel (unless it is a blue, I can't really tell what the difference between steel and blue is).
It came from this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-zealand-rabbit-genetics-question.1132625/
That thread has quite a lot of information about rabbit genetics, but it still can't answer the question of what genes YOUR white doe has.

Back
Top Bottom