Question about RIR?

Pip's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Central AR
Do RIR chicks that are about 1 1/2-2 weeks old have white in their wing feathers as babies? They started off pretty redish/orange in color with their first feathers orangish with a little black. I thought they were RIR's and so did another person..but now I am seeing white in the new feather??

I got a batch of chicks this year that looked just jike my RIR from last year. That was until they started with white wing tips. Then I knew I had Red Stars. Oh well at least they are all girls.
big_smile.png

At first when there were no replies I was thinking this was a silly question! I'm new at this but Thank you so much for the input
smile.png

There is never a silly question, but I'll bet there are a buch of very busy or tired people. Red Stars are awesome egg layers, but their eggs are a light beige where as the RIR are a brown. They both have great qualitities and I have both breeds, but if I had my choice I would take the RIR anytime. In my experience the RIR are much more personable. Although that may be because somone else raised them for the first three and a half months. I do know that the 7 10 week olds are shaping up to be quite the characters. We were sure hoping that ours were RIR, but you get what you get. I think the next time I need some replacements I will order specific breeds.

Back
Top Bottom