Question about rooster

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
I have three young roosters 8 months old or older in with 17 hens and pullets,they are very frisky and some of the girls stay on the roosts most of the day so they don`t get attacked.I can see some bald heads and don`t want any bald backs right now its to cold for that.My question is I have a small coop its about 5x6 floor space and some roosts can I put those three roosters in there togather>Right now they all get along but I`m afraid that might not last as they get older.They will not be able to see the girls in the other coop but will be able to hear them.They will be able to go outside in a run weather permitting so they don`t have to stay in the coop during the day.I will put them back in with the hens in the spring probably the end of March that way the girls will be outside most of the day and have more room in the run to get away form them.Do you think this would work?I`m thinking that if they don`t have hens to fight over they well be ok with each other.They are big orpington roosters

that, or get rid of one roo. I have 14 girls and 2 roos, it works great....the lost feathers on the head, could be a molt. My 39 week old girls just went and are still going through a mild molt....

I actually had a similar situartion a week or so ago.... I seperated out two of the three and left one with the girls. They are actually doing fine together....

I thought about leaving one in with them but when I put the other two in with them in the spring won`t three be fighting becasue he will think they are all his.

I would try moving all three to a bachelor pad. There are no guarantees that they will get along, but there are also no guarantees that they will continue to get along under present conditions. Separation will make life easier on the hens. If you were to leave one and then try to reintroduce the other two in the spring, I'm willing to bet that 'rooster war' would break out.

Move the roosters out unless you need hatching eggs. Your hens will lay better without the feather loss and harassment. Also the hens hiding on the roosts will tend to get too fat from lack of exercise. That could lead to laying problems and the loss of your hen. I had that problem here. If you are getting any long, narrow bullet shaped eggs then the ones that are laying them are too fat. It's hard to notice just by looking, especially in winter when they tend to puff their feathers to keep warm.

Back
Top Bottom