Question about Roosters!

tootmany

Songster
Mar 14, 2018
SD
Hey! I've been curious for awhile. I've not kept any roos or actually had interaction with them. I've wondered a few things and would appreciate any feedback! :)
- Do roosters tend to eat less? I've imagined they do simply because they don't have to produce eggs. Just wondering if there is a noticeable difference since laying an egg every day seems like quite a lot of work for the body.
- Are there any breeds that don't break your eardrums when they sound off? I have a feeling that is wishful thinking on my part, lol. A quieter boy to guard a flock would definitely be nicer in an urban setting, given your town even allows one.

For the first chick/teenager months I noticed they eat more,but as they age they tend to eat less,and most of the treats and etc they find seem to be given to the hens.

Bigger breeds have deeper voices,the bantams tend to be the loud and irritating crows,but their all gonna crow just know that,some more then others.

Each rooster will have his own voice, and he will be as loud as he can make it! He is going to eat his share, but a good one will feed his girls much of what he finds. Also they tend to protect the girls calling alerts letting the girls tend to feeding. I think one gets more eggs with a rooster than without, he wants then to lay!
I have taken from animal rescue some roosters that were in the city. You can have it until someone complains,,, ok, whatever. One they sent me they said he is mean, wont let anyone near the cage, etc.. I looked him over (a big black australorp) and opened the cage in a small run ( and 5 old girls I was culling) He went straight to them and was very happy here, never a problem (cept with the dog, but they worked it out) loud and proud to have these old ladies. I sold them together and they were vary happy with him as well.

For the first chick/teenager months I noticed they eat more,but as they age they tend to eat less,and most of the treats and etc they find seem to be given to the hens.

Bigger breeds have deeper voices,the bantams tend to be the loud and irritating crows,but their all gonna crow just know that,some more then others.
Makes sense that they eat more when they are young. They tend to grow a bit bigger than hens on average, right? Need to eat enough to keep up with the growth I guess :)
Honestly I've found higher pitched crows to be kind of cute, but I imagine it is a different story when you hear it 24/7

Each rooster will have his own voice, and he will be as loud as he can make it! He is going to eat his share, but a good one will feed his girls much of what he finds. Also they tend to protect the girls calling alerts letting the girls tend to feeding. I think one gets more eggs with a rooster than without, he wants then to lay!
I have taken from animal rescue some roosters that were in the city. You can have it until someone complains,,, ok, whatever. One they sent me they said he is mean, wont let anyone near the cage, etc.. I looked him over (a big black australorp) and opened the cage in a small run ( and 5 old girls I was culling) He went straight to them and was very happy here, never a problem (cept with the dog, but they worked it out) loud and proud to have these old ladies. I sold them together and they were vary happy with him as well.
You know, I'd probably be crabby too if I was suddenly in a cage and surrounded by strangers :p

Back
Top Bottom