Question about roosters?

Jetski91

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2022
backyard-chickens-1917-e1374777111449-471x700.jpg

So I've been curious for awhile now -

Code enforcement says I can have chickens, but no roosters. When I asked them for the city ordinance or law that said this they said there isn't one, that they enforce it under disturbing the peace. I've looked through the city codes many many times and it doesn't say anything about roosters or chicken noises. Obviously disturbing the peace would put it under this, but what makes my brain itch is It specifically talks about dog noises in the city code. I live in an area where in any 10 minute period there is a dog within 3 blocks barking non stop very loudly from 12am-11:59pm everyday and you can hear it clear as day...

Now to the question..

Would you risk this for a rooster? I have 1/3 of an acre (I know it's not that big) but it's not like neighbors are right next to me..

I really want to be able to have a rooster to be sustainable. I'm zoned for residential with animals... The city code doesn't clearly specify what this means or include a list of animals you can't have other then pigs and exotic animals...

Any input would be nice..

View attachment 3341636

So I've been curious for awhile now -

Code enforcement says I can have chickens, but no roosters. When I asked them for the city ordinance or law that said this they said there isn't one, that they enforce it under disturbing the peace. I've looked through the city codes many many times and it doesn't say anything about roosters or chicken noises. Obviously disturbing the peace would put it under this, but what makes my brain itch is It specifically talks about dog noises in the city code. I live in an area where in any 10 minute period there is a dog within 3 blocks barking non stop very loudly from 12am-11:59pm everyday and you can hear it clear as day...

Now to the question..

Would you risk this for a rooster? I have 1/3 of an acre (I know it's not that big) but it's not like neighbors are right next to me..

I really want to be able to have a rooster to be sustainable. I'm zoned for residential with animals... The city code doesn't clearly specify what this means or include a list of animals you can't have other then pigs and exotic animals...

Any input would be nice..
I have 7 roos in the city. I've never had any problems, praise the Lord!

You could try a crow collar. There are quite a few videos on YouTube.
Or, ask your neighbors if they're cool with it. If they're not disturbing them, you're not disturbing the peace. 😉

I have 7 roos in the city. I've never had any problems, praise the Lord!

You could try a crow collar. There are quite a few videos on YouTube.
Or, ask your neighbors if they're cool with it. If they're not disturbing them, you're not disturbing the peace. 😉
I've got rooster collars on mine.. but I can still hear them crow. I've watched many videos on YouTube, some get very good results others get the same results I've been seeing. It's muffled but not gone like I've seen in some videos. The dog barking down a few houses down drowns the sound out but I know this isn't going to be a defense. The closest neighbor to the coop, I've been asking everyday if they can hear the crowing. They tell me no..they also tell me other neighbors have them and no one cares, but I'd still like to be prepared.

I've got rooster collars on mine.. but I can still hear them crow. I've watched many videos on YouTube, some get very good results others get the same results I've been seeing. It's muffled but not gone like I've seen in some videos. The dog barking down a few houses down drowns the sound out but I know this isn't going to be a defense. The closest neighbor to the coop, I've been asking everyday if they can hear the crowing. They tell me no..they also tell me other neighbors have them and no one cares, but I'd still like to be prepared.
That's how my neighbors are, they love the chickens. They've even come over to see/pet them.
I'm not going to have all my roos where they can be heard by everyone, but the way i'm doing it currently is working out great!
How tight is the collar?

That's how my neighbors are, they love the chickens. They've even come over to see/pet them.
I'm not going to have all my roos where they can be heard by everyone, but the way i'm doing it currently is working out great!
How tight is the collar?
I'm pretty sure the collar I made can be tighter. Is say my pinky slips in much to easy. I'm just using a of Velcro. I was giving them some.time to adjust to the collar before I tightened it more.

I'm pretty sure the collar I made can be tighter. Is say my pinky slips in much to easy. I'm just using a of Velcro. I was giving them some.time to adjust to the collar before I tightened it more.
Smart, once you're able to barley get your pinky finger in between the collar and his neck, his crow should sound like a burp.

Some breed of roosters don't crow as much as others. It might be an avenue to check out.
Well I have a few it seems to be only 2 that are really crowing. I think too that their collars are just too loose. I will say mine sounds like a rubber chicken. It's definitely not as loud as some of the ones I hear at 2am around.

Good to know. I guess today I'll be tightening them since it's been about a week now.
Cool.
Just be careful, it's around his neck, don't put it too tight.
You know what? Tighten it till your pointer finger can fit in there.
Then work up to your pinky.

I'd just hate for something to happen to your bird following my advice.
Good luck! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom