Question about roosters?

Cool.
Just be careful, it's around his neck, don't put it too tight.
You know what? Tighten it till your pointer finger can fit in there.
Then work up to your pinky.

I'd just hate for something to happen to your bird following my advice.
Good luck! 🙂
I wouldn't allow anything to happen. I did just tighten it and I will be with them for atleast another hour while I watch for any signs of distress. So far seems now no more crowing.

Sounds like you have several young roosters.
Yea was expecting people to want some free ayam cemani but no takers so it's either solve the crowing or I will be making them into dinner. I had called around a few places that do butchering but none are doing new orders until February.

View attachment 3341636

So I've been curious for awhile now -

Code enforcement says I can have chickens, but no roosters. When I asked them for the city ordinance or law that said this they said there isn't one, that they enforce it under disturbing the peace. I've looked through the city codes many many times and it doesn't say anything about roosters or chicken noises. Obviously disturbing the peace would put it under this, but what makes my brain itch is It specifically talks about dog noises in the city code. I live in an area where in any 10 minute period there is a dog within 3 blocks barking non stop very loudly from 12am-11:59pm everyday and you can hear it clear as day...

Now to the question..

Would you risk this for a rooster? I have 1/3 of an acre (I know it's not that big) but it's not like neighbors are right next to me..

I really want to be able to have a rooster to be sustainable. I'm zoned for residential with animals... The city code doesn't clearly specify what this means or include a list of animals you can't have other then pigs and exotic animals...

Any input would be nice..
I live in a 2 chicken residential zone, but have 12 hens and 2 roosters. I put a rooster collar on my 2 roosters to tone them down. I have it on loose, just enough to taper the annoying pitch. It kind of prevents them from doing a full power crow.

Its okay as long as the neighbors don't complain. Its common to have chickens in my area. My new neighbor got noisy crowing fighting chickens when he moved in and another neighbor next to him complained about the crowing. A police man came out and told him there is a 2 chicken limit and he can be fined up to $1,000 if he doesn't comply. They gave him time to get rid of the chickens.

I spoke to my neighbor and he said he can barely hear my rooster crowing, and it doesn't bother him, so I haven't had any problems.

Last edited:
I live in a 2 chicken residential zone, but have 12 hens and 2 roosters.. I put a rooster collar on my 2 roosters to tone them down. I have it on loose, just enough taper the annoying pitch. It kind of prevents them from doing a full power crow.

Its okay as long as the neighbors don't complain. Its common to have chickens in my area. My new neighbor got fighting chickens when he moved in and another neighbor next to him complained and a police came out told him there is a 2 chicken limit and he can be fined up to $1,000 if he doesn't comply. They gave him time to get rid of the chickens.
I was kinda curious about that. Good to know they gave him time. Obviously it may be different here, but if I think about it.. One of my neighbors has turkeys and geese that get out constantly. I've seen code enforcement there once. He didn't even bother to catch the turkey and just left. Makes me wonder if I'm thinking about this too much.

I was kinda curious about that. Good to know they gave him time. Obviously it may be different here, but if I think about it.. One of my neighbors has turkeys and geese that get out constantly. I've seen code enforcement there once. He didn't even bother to catch the turkey and just left. Makes me wonder if I'm thinking about this too much.
The enforcement only come out if someone complains............

I have a question, everyone says to feed my two roosters and everyone else flock feed so the roosters can eat it, but I don't have all the stuff to feed my hens that they need constantly. And I'm scared to feed them layer feed cause I don't want to shorten their life!
Any things to say?

I have a question, everyone says to feed my two roosters and everyone else flock feed so the roosters can eat it, but I don't have all the stuff to feed my hens that they need constantly. And I'm scared to feed them layer feed cause I don't want to shorten their life!
Any things to say?
I buy the layer pellets from Walmart and mix some scratch into their diet. However, there seem to be a logistic problem since they don't always have chicken feed on stock, so I end up buying local layer feed at $45 for a 50lbs bag. I mix scratch because it is cheaper, so it brings down the average cost.

I will cook my chicken before it dies, they lay best the first two years and after that egg laying goes down hill. Thus the reason for the meat and egg laying rotation.

Back
Top Bottom