question about roosters

Revgtomp

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 12, 2014
I have two rooster now. A speckled Sussex and a red leg-horn. Can they co-exist if they have grown up together. Do I need to separate one or get rid of him. They seem to get along thus far but just wondering what I need to do.

It could depend on how many hens and how big the area is. Cockerels that grow up together are often fine with each other, especially with enough hens. You'll just have to play it by ear.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Lots of roosters that grow up together can and do get along all their lives. And there are some that don't. However as they grow and take on hens, their attitudes toward one another can change sometimes.

The proper ratio of rooster to hen is 1 to 10. You can't have 2 roosters mating with a handful of hens. They will do too much damage and can hurt or injure the hens badly.

So if you have enough hens for these two roosters, enough space for these two groups and these boys do get along, there is no reason you can't keep both of them.

If you are free ranging, it always makes it easier to keep more than one rooster since they have more room to move.

Good luck with what ever decision you come to here and welcome to our flock!

I have 2 speckled hens and 3 red hens. I have been keeping an eye on them I hope they will get along.Thanks

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

TwoCrows has given you some good advice already.

Good luck with your roosters! Mine usually get along when raised together, but a couple don't do well with other roosters around.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

X2 on the above posters' advice. If raised together, most of my roosters tend to get along. However, there are always exceptions.

Ask the hens how they like it! A rooster can handle 10 hens, so if you keep both, you need a busload of girls. Otherwise your hens will be overbred to the point of damage and worse.

Back
Top Bottom