Question about sex links

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Our order was supposed to have 3 red and 3 gold sex links. It does look like 3 look alike and the other 3 look alike. They don't look a lot different though, but 3 have dark on their heads. So anyway now they are getting a lot of wing feathers, and 4 of them have colored feathers and 2 have white. Is that normal? Is it possible the 2 with white wings are roos? I thought sex links were a sure thing as far as sexing...

Sex links are about as sure as you can get. Relax. Those white feathers have nothing to do with whether they are male or female. The down color is what matters.

Saying that three are red sex links and three are gold sex links tells me practically nothing about what breeds were used to make the sex links. There are so many different combinations possible for each that you really don't know just by the name. Depending on parent breeds, you can get different looks for the chicks. And juvenile plumage can look different that the final adult plumage. Pure Black Australorp are solid black when adult but the babies have some white wing feathers, for example.

I kinow it is hard to not be concerned with your first ones, but I really think you are OK.

ok thanks. I'm not actually concerned, because my son is hoping we get one accidental rooster, but I was curious. I don't know the cross either-these are from Ideal Hatchery.

I agree with Ridgerunner. Without knowing what their parents were, there is no telling what they will look like as they feather or when they are adults. The only thing constant in sex links is that the color of the baby fluff indicates whether it is male or female.

Well that's actually good news then. It'll be easier to tell them apart when they get bigger.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom