Question about Showing and Feather condition

Year of the Rooster

Sebright Savvy
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
West Central Ohio
What procedures do you do ahead of time before a show other than bathing the bird? What do you feed it? Where do you keep it? If it's a hen, do you keep it separated from the rooster(s), unless that rooster is also going to be shown? Thanks.
smile.png

I do know you are to handle your birds alot so they calm down fast, and if you have a broken feather you pull out the broken one and in 5 weeks you have a new feather.

Would you happen to know what to feed them to make their feathers come in nice or grow faster or make them glossy/shiny? Such as something high in protein? I've tried plucking feathers on my birds, but they seem pretty stuck in there and I'm afraid I'll hurt the bird.

This is all a part of the conditioning process and for the most part it's not about how you keep you birds just before a show, it's how you keep them 100% of the time. A bird that has been kept in a tiny little pen will not have the same conditioning as a bird in a larger pen where it can exercise and develop muscle condition. Fresh food, water, a clean environment, a pen that is a reasonable size with roosts if possible and good quality feed. I also make sure my birds get natural light. I absolutely will not keep my birds in dark, dingy pens like I've seen WAY too often. I designed my coop so that all my pens will have a window in them. I also like to free range my birds when I can....they love it and pick up extra nutrients that the feed may be missing. Only do this though of your area is safe from wandering dogs and other predators.

A healthy happy birds will have glossy feathers that grow at a reasonable pace. I tend to feed my show birds a lot of 'grower' feed as opposed to 'layer' which is what we get up here in Canada in my area.

Urban Coyote

Thanks Urban Coyote. That is a lot of great information!
smile.png

I have another question: I've looked at a few feathers that seem to be damaged and when I've tried plucking them, they feel to "attached" to the bird and I'm afraid I'll hurt them. If I cut the feather as close as I can to the base, will that encourage it to grow back? Such as the tail and wing feathers?

Quote:
No, you can't cut it. You need a pair of hemostats. Grab the wing or body firmly, then grab the feather shaft as near to the skin as possible and pull straight out. It requires some effort on your part to get it out.

Yes, it hurts. Yes, it will bleed, but should stop quickly. A little corn starch dabbed on the empty shaft will help it clot a little quicker.

I haven't done this with my geese or ducks, but my parrot had many a broken wing feather in her time. It was nerve racking, but once you do it it gets better.

Good Luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom