Question about sleepy chick

lbartsch

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
We are totally new to raising chicks and so this might be a silly question. If so, please forgive. We got 4 one week-old chicks about a week ago and all seem to be doing well. They are three different breeds. Two Araucanas, One Silver Laced Wyandotte and One Rhode Island Red. They are getting bigger everyday and feathers are coming in. They are eating, drinking and pooping as expected.

The Rhode Island Red seems to be sitting and napping way more than the others. Seems like everytime I check on them (like 30 times a day) she is napping. She is also feathering a lot faster than the others. When she does get up and walk around she eats and drinks and everything looks pretty normal.

Is she just extra-sleepy? Is this normal for her breed. Should I worry about her ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynn

Hi! I'm new as well and our RIR was very sleepy when we got her a week ago, especially compared to the other breeds we got. Hubs thought she was lethargic, but like yours she was still eating and drinking. She had some pasty butt issues, but that cleared up with warm paper towel soaks and feeding them all a greek yogurt/crumble mash. It's been a week and besides the girls now being addicted to yogurt, everyone is fine and growing fast. The RIR is no more sleepy then the others and no one has gotten pasty again. Good luck with your girl.

We are also new to the chickens..bout 2 months into it. We have 22 chickens. One of our buys consisted of 2 bantam RIR's. When we got home I noticed one was sleeping sooo much. I was worried... I gave them yogurt, but they didn't seem to eat it till I crushed some of there food ontop of it. The lil sleepy head would eat.. then "pass-out". I swapped out their regular water for water that had electrolytes and after a week she seemed to snapped out of it. Hope yours wakes up soon.

It could just be that due to the pecking order she is unable to get any rest. There were times it may be necessary to separate a chick to a dark box with food and water just so it can get some sleep. It seem to me that when I use a white light they are up all night and eating constantly rather than when I use a red light.

Hope all is well

Rancher

Hi I'm new to BYC and new to chickens. I realize this is an old post, but it helped me this week, so I thought I'd add my sleepy chick info here to help whoever comes along next. I have 5 2-week old chicks and one of them was extra sleepy and losing weight for about 2 days. She is at the bottom of the pecking order so far. I was worried and did lots of reading here (thank you!). Some posts indicate it could be very serious, others make you think it could be normal. Both outcomes seem valid. My chick is doing fine now - she took a couple days to get in some extra naps and then started gaining weight and running around just like everyone else. I hope our experience might ease someone else's mind if it happens to you.

Can I also just say - I LOVE CHICKS!

This is my first time also. I just got 4 Barr Rock chicks today, and I had no idea they would sleep so much. They are 4 weeks old. I guess that they have had a rough day today though, with all of the moving around. I hope they are perkier tomorrow!!

I'm no longer worried, they have totally perked up and are quite the little rabblehousers now! LOL!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom