Question about slimy eggs

Sometimes there is clearly yellow slime. Not a fully intact yolk. Here's an example from eggs I collected yesterday.

View attachment 2690954

However it isn't always yellow. Sometimes it is just a clear glob. The nesting material is usually wet when I find these things. No obvious egg shell remnants that I see.
Oh, well, that definitely broken egg(s)....they consume the shells and as much of the contents as they can.

Oh, well, that definitely broken egg(s)....they consume the shells and as much of the contents as they can.

Hmmm, I will look closely this evening to see if I find any egg shell remnants if it occurs today. I always inspect eggs for cracks and defects because I sell my eggs. The slimed eggs seem perfectly normal and intact. If I do occasionally find a cracked egg (usually from too many eggs in the nest), I've been giving it to the girls but never inside the coop and I smash it first. Maybe I'm creating this issue if someone is eating eggs in the nest?

Hmmm, I will look closely this evening to see if I find any egg shell remnants if it occurs today. I always inspect eggs for cracks and defects because I sell my eggs. The slimed eggs seem perfectly normal and intact. If I do occasionally find a cracked egg (usually from too many eggs in the nest), I've been giving it to the girls but never inside the coop and I smash it first. Maybe I'm creating this issue if someone is eating eggs in the nest?
I would just start to gather eggs more frequently, replace every egg gathered with a fake egg. Not sure if that is possible for you, but it's about the only way to find out who is eating eggs and/or who might be laying weak/thin/soft eggs that are getting eaten.

I had nest messes and it took hourly trips out to the coop for several days before I finally caught one running around with a shell(a very thin shell)....and longer to find out who was laying the weak egg.

Back
Top Bottom