Question about splinting ducks leg, how will she sleep, and sit?

azhenhouse

Songster
9 Years
11 Years
Jul 12, 2010
North Eastern Arizona
I have had a duck with a bad leg for a while, and using just vet wrap isn't helping it anymore. I thought I would give it one more attempt at healing before I have to cull. The only options for trying to fix it is using a splint or a sling. I don't know if it is broken or dislocated, or what? It is in the knee/elbow part of her leg. It pops out when she tries to run or walk too fast, and she will stop and pop it back in. The attempt might take her a few tries but she manages to work it back into place. However, this is not a healthy way to live. The injury was caused by some over zealous Saxony drakes, that have now been isolated from all the girls. She is our most beautiful and sweetest Harlequin that we have, and the thought of culling her makes my stomach churn. However, I don't think it is fair for her to live the isolated life she lives (she is housed with other ducks but can't run with them), and for us. I think the only way it will be corrected is if she is not allowed to bend it until it heals. If I use a splint how will she sit, sleep, and lay eggs. The same question could be asked about the sling. Also, how would I splint it? Do I splint it on the sides of her leg, or front to back? Sorry to say that for this injury a vet is not an option. It will require treatment at home, if any is available.

I would appreciated any suggestion on how to treat her. Thx

Oh, no.

I would be really slow to cull her, first off. I understand your point, but . . .

I would try the sling option. Something like a baby's indoor swing, that may let her legs just barely touch the ground. At night she might be allowed to rest with the flock, and she could have meal and water breaks, and some swim time which would also help.

I wonder if there is a supplement that might strengthen the area also.

See if half days in the sling is enough rest. If you make a gap in the rear, she can poop on papers or something underneath.

And I know this would be some work, but it might be enjoyable. It's almost as if she needs one of those braces that athletes wear. Could you try making a brace, with a stiff but flexible shaft that could be attached to the leg? I am trying to think of what you could make into such a shaft. Some plastic hair pins may be like that.

If she doesn't seem depressed or otherwise ill, I wouldn't kill her at this point. In fact, if you just cannot deal with it, perhaps through the forum you can find someone would take in a special needs duck.

Oh, no.

I would be really slow to cull her, first off. I understand your point, but . . .

I would try the sling option. Something like a baby's indoor swing, that may let her legs just barely touch the ground. At night she might be allowed to rest with the flock, and she could have meal and water breaks, and some swim time which would also help.

I wonder if there is a supplement that might strengthen the area also.

See if half days in the sling is enough rest. If you make a gap in the rear, she can poop on papers or something underneath.

And I know this would be some work, but it might be enjoyable. It's almost as if she needs one of those braces that athletes wear. Could you try making a brace, with a stiff but flexible shaft that could be attached to the leg? I am trying to think of what you could make into such a shaft. Some plastic hair pins may be like that.

If she doesn't seem depressed or otherwise ill, I wouldn't kill her at this point. In fact, if you just cannot deal with it, perhaps through the forum you can find someone would take in a special needs duck.

Trust me Amiga, I don't want to cull this girl. She is such a sweetie, probably because we handle her so much. I really want to put a sling on but if I did she wouldn't be able to bend her legs to sit, and that is where I am confused. If I splint it and it heals will she ever be able to bend her leg again? If I splint it how will she lay her daily egg? Can they sit with a splinted leg? I know she will be able to stand and walk but that is about it. I just don't want to make it worse, but what I am doing is not making it better. If I splint her leg during the day and take it off at night so she can bed down will it heal or mess everything up? The vet tape allows her to bend her knee which I don't think is good, but it keeps her knee from popping out of place. It also climbs up her leg which causes her leg to swell. Once I take it off and put fresh wrap on, the swelling goes away. By the way, when her knee/joint pops out it goes flat instead of being round. So, I don't know if that means it is broken or if their is some other damage to it. If you don't understand take a look at your ducks leg. See how it is round at the joint? When Sugar's, the duck, pops out it goes flat at the joint. No broken skin.

Amiga, she has been like this for a while now, and I am praying she will get better. I know it seems like my poor ducks are being neglected because of all the issues they have had, but really my only fault was allowing too many drakes in with the ducks. I really learned my lesson there. Things have been much quieter around here since I separated them. The Saxony girls are doing great! Now I just need to get Sugar better.

Thanks for all your help.

Trust me Amiga, I don't want to cull this girl. She is such a sweetie, probably because we handle her so much. I really want to put a sling on but if I did she wouldn't be able to bend her legs to sit, and that is where I am confused. If I splint it and it heals will she ever be able to bend her leg again? If I splint it how will she lay her daily egg? Can they sit with a splinted leg? I know she will be able to stand and walk but that is about it. I just don't want to make it worse, but what I am doing is not making it better. If I splint her leg during the day and take it off at night so she can bed down will it heal or mess everything up? The vet tape allows her to bend her knee which I don't think is good, but it keeps her knee from popping out of place. It also climbs up her leg which causes her leg to swell. Once I take it off and put fresh wrap on, the swelling goes away. By the way, when her knee/joint pops out it goes flat instead of being round. So, I don't know if that means it is broken or if their is some other damage to it. If you don't understand take a look at your ducks leg. See how it is round at the joint? When Sugar's, the duck, pops out it goes flat at the joint. No broken skin.

Amiga, she has been like this for a while now, and I am praying she will get better. I know it seems like my poor ducks are being neglected because of all the issues they have had, but really my only fault was allowing too many drakes in with the ducks. I really learned my lesson there. Things have been much quieter around here since I separated them. The Saxony girls are doing great! Now I just need to get Sugar better.

Thanks for all your help.

I wish i could give advise but I can't i just wanted to say I hope she gets better also and I'll be praying.

azhenhouse,

I don't feel that you neglect your ducks.
hugs.gif
Things can just get ahead of us sometimes, and troubles can cluster.

So about this little duckie. From what I have seen on the forum and what I have seen my ducks do, I think she could lie down with her leg stretched out behind her. OldGuy43 has a duck with an injured leg, and I don't think she can straighten it, and she seems to be getting around okay. He's posted some videos. Have you had a chance to see them?

I would try the splint and/or the sling and then watch carefully.

azhenhouse,

I don't feel that you neglect your ducks.
hugs.gif
Things can just get ahead of us sometimes, and troubles can cluster.

So about this little duckie. From what I have seen on the forum and what I have seen my ducks do, I think she could lie down with her leg stretched out behind her. OldGuy43 has a duck with an injured leg, and I don't think she can straighten it, and she seems to be getting around okay. He's posted some videos. Have you had a chance to see them?

I would try the splint and/or the sling and then watch carefully.
Sorry if it sounded like I was saying that you think I neglect my ducks. I didn't mean for it to come across that way. :) No, I have not seen OldGuy43's videos but will be watching them tomorrow. Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it.

Hi, How have you been getting on with your poorly duck ??
A fox got into my garden but luckerly i got there before it did to much damage (IE killed any of my girls)
I took here(Nelso) to the vet but nothing wrong Vet said nerve damage.
Poor nelson loves being with here friends but cannot use here leg,
Did you manage to put a splint on ? What did you use ?
smile.png

Thanks very Much

OK. I am new to this. But my female duck was attacked by male ducks, and her left leg was a useless mess that was flat. She could not move it or bend it. But after much thought, I would take the leg and bend it up under her when she was sitting with her foot flat. Just like she would do the right leg. I would also exercise the leg: lift toward her chest, bend, flex it forward and back. I would stand her up with one hand and gently hold the feet down flat with the other hand. I would also move her legs in a walking motion: left leg forward, right leg forward, left leg, right leg forward, etc. because she would try to walk backward. But now she is walking normal!!! I read somewhere that the exercise and helping her walk 'retrains the duck's brain.' Walks very pigeon toed but walking so proud. I isolated her with one other duck for a couple of weeks and they were very cozy together (entwining necks, heads together, etc.). Now she is with the same duck because his knee keeps popping out. Using same physical regimen for him but will try to splint or wrap the knee. Vet charged me $118 for x-ray, told me knee was popping out, but didn't do anything else. Also using vitamins (B, E, Poly-Visol, etc.), aspirin, foods high in vitamins, etc.). ThanX to the Forum for letting us know that many of the 'starter foods' are low in the proper nutrients needed by ducklings and this causes a lot of the problems we see in their legs and walking!!

Back
Top Bottom