Question about storing eggs for incubation

michickenwrangler

To Finish Is To Win
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
NE Michigan
Question: Do eggs need air before they go in the incubator?

I have 5 eggs saved (and saving more each day). I recall in STorey's Guide that plastic containers that hikers use to store eggs are good for storing hatching eggs.

They are in a plastic container in a plastic cooler on the enclosed porch so they can be at 55 degrees +/-

Do the eggs need to be able to "breathe" before being set in the incubator or did I already kill them?

They're good. It's not an issue really, unless you like sealed them up in a Ziploc and stored them in the fish tank or something. Yours should be fine
smile.png

I keep mine in a normal cardboard egg carton in the basement and have a good hatch rate. Right now I have 14 eggs under two broodies and all are developing well. 8 are due end of the week and the others are the end of next week. they were collected when the temps were about -10C. We collected 14 D'Uccle eggs and 6 Silkie Eggs the silkie were not fertile and did not divelop and all of the D'Uccles are moving like mad when we candled them on Sat.

You can store Hatching eggs up to five days at a temp of 55 to 60. But after 5 days the fertility of the eggs are questionable. How ever I have left mine in the coop for about 4 days and the temp dipped to below freezing. When I set the eggs I didn't think they would be ok but after 7 days I checked them and only had to toss one out of 36

Ack! No, our house hovers around 85 degrees! I love our pellet stove but right now with outisde temps in the 30s, it's been waayyy too hot in the house, even for me. Heck, I could probably put the eggs in a box on the stove with a pan of water and heat them that way.

I just wanted to know if the eggs had to have access to air.

Back
Top Bottom