Question about supplemental heat/additional niacin?

hotmessmom

In the Brooder
May 14, 2023
Hey y’all! Long time chicken, first time duck owner here. We have 5 mallards in our brooder right now. They are 2 days shy of 5 weeks old. They have been growing and thriving beautifully but as we near moving them outdoors I have a few questions.

We still have a heat plate in their brooder however it doesn’t get used often anymore. All 5 of babies like to sleep together on top of it now LOL. With our chicks in the past I have always kept a lamp/plate on them until fully feathered but our ducks are acting like they no longer need it. We live in the south and our house stays around 72 during the day and 68 at night (outdoors is around mid 80s during the day and high 60s at night), would it be okay to go ahead and remove the heat plate or should I continue to offer it until fully feathered? They are pretty close now, their chests, head, tails and wings are all pretty much grown in, just waiting on a few patchy spots on their backs.

I have also been adding nutritional yeast to their purina duck pellets. I’ve heard from a few people that there is no need for additional niacin with purina but I’ve always added extra just to be on the safe side. Is that something I should continue doing? And if so how long should I keep adding nutritional yeast to their food?

Thank y’all!!

I'd keep up with the NY until at least 10 weeks old that is the fastest growing time.

I see no reason to keep the heat plate if they are mainly using it as a platform. Mine did the same thing so I removed it at 5 weeks.
I'd say they are ready for outside . Have you taken them out at all? if not start today with them being out in the daytime as long as it isn't raining this way they are getting acclimated by the end of the weekend they should be ready for overnight and actually, they will feather in faster.

I'd keep up with the NY until at least 10 weeks old that is the fastest growing time.

I see no reason to keep the heat plate if they are mainly using it as a platform. Mine did the same thing so I removed it at 5 weeks.
I'd say they are ready for outside . Have you taken them out at all? if not start today with them being out in the daytime as long as it isn't raining this way they are getting acclimated by the end of the weekend they should be ready for overnight and actually, they will feather in faster.
They actually spend most of the day outside with me and the kids! We bring them in for a few hours around my toddlers nap time and then again for the night right before sunset. I took the heat plate out and will see how they do tonight but I’m sure they’ll be just fine. I’ll continue to add nutritional yeast for a few more weeks! Thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom