Question about swedish hens?

DB_Tex

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Upshur County, Texas
The egg detective is IN!
In trying to investigate which ducks are laying I've come to wonder if one of my non performing swedes is finally paying rent. How often and what color do swedes lay?

I'm getting a very large white egg about once a week (4 days-6 days), Brighter white than the campbell eggs I get every day. I've also got layer hybrids (much younger though) and a buff, but the buff's feet are bright orange.. Im pretty sure she's not laying anything.

I have 1 Buff and 1 Swed both laying. As well as 300 hybrids also laying. My Buff lays a very white good sized egg. My Black Swedish lays a white egg with a gray over layer. The first eggs the Black Swed laid were almost black on the outside. The actual shell its self was cream, only the outer surface was gray. The Golden 300 hybrids lay mostly cream eggs although I do have one that lays a green egg for me every day.

Just guessing from your post I would say the Buff is the one laying the egg you described.

In the end, It doesn't much matter which egg belongs to who... Its just that my pair of black swedish sisters are serious cull material. I can tolerate a pretty duck that doesn't lay, but a pretty duck that doesn't lay and harasses all the rest of my residents may be facing a trip to the freezer. It would help her case if she was at least contributing :)

I have a black swedish and a blue swedish and they both lay white eggs. Very good layers to. They started laying the first of sept. and haven't missed a day. Of course they might quit laying tomorrow.

Well thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious (like if swedes lay green eggs for example and I didn't know it! LOL)

Funny thing was these two had an execution date back in November till I came into a set of 9 males someone was desperate to be rid of and processing those birds distracted me... then BOOM! eggs started dropping right and left! and the swedish and rouen boys I saved out of that lot happen to be very charismatic. I've caught those black and white hussies in the act! No surprise the big eggs are all fertile
gig.gif

Probably because nobody cares what color eggs ducks lay, so nobody breeds for egg color. Chicken people seem to be obsessed with egg color. Me, I'm going to throw that egg shell away. Why should I care what color it is? I'm much more interested in the quality of what is inside that shell

Back
Top Bottom