Question About Taking Chicks Outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CodyChristine, May 16, 2008.

1. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    I have a batch of one week old chicks. The weather is nice here in MN - in the seventies. When are the chicks old enough to go outside and play for a little bit? I wasn't planning on taking them out for hours, but wondered if 10-15 minutes out in the grass would hurt them? Thanks!

2. bungaree chickens

bungaree chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    corvallis, Or.
    I am interested to know this too!! I just got day olds today, but we are supposed to be in the 90-100 degree weather (and it feels it outside). I was wondering if I could bring them outside during the day and inside at night....I am interested to hear the responses you get on this one.

Baby chicks are just so sweet!![​IMG]

3. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    My oldest are 5.5 weeks old, and we got them at 9 days. They was in the house for 2 nights. I built a coop that doubled as a brooder. I used a 15' piece of rabbit wire to make a small run for them.

They could come and go into the house/brooder as they pleased and they've been super happy. Doubly so when I increased their run to 40'x30'

When the temps are nice theres no problem taking them outside at all. MY Broody with 7 chicks takes hers outside almost all day everyday.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I brought mine out at a week and a half for short times on nice days (I live in Maine) and they have done beautifully. I figure the mama hen would have them outside. Just make sure they go in to the brooder to get warm after a little while. 70 degrees is much different than 85 or 90. MIne are three weeks old this weekend and they're now outside three times a day for up to an hour. They come in and fall fast asleep, I think it keeps them from being bored too! They're starting to be a challenge to catch though. Its funny, if I stay stil they climb all over me but if I go after them to put them back inside, instinct kicks in and they're off like a flash! The easiest one to catch is always the last one, because she realizes she's all alone and just stands and peeps.

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I made a large circle out of hardware cloth and then put chicken wire over the top that could be taken off in a flash if needed. Then if there was no cool wind blowing I took the chicks outside and put them inside the "coral" under a shade tree when they were a couple weeks old. Now mind you it has to be pretty warm. If they were four or five weeks then I would put them out for a bit if it were in the seventies. Higher temps would be ok for younger birds. Never lost one to weather...just use your own good common sense and you will do fine. [​IMG]

6. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I took mine out at 2 weeks old - put them under the wire top of a rabbit cage. I placed it so they could scratch a little in the garden dirt and play on the grass. The loved it. I try to take them out each afternoon I get home now for a few hours, they are 3 weeks. I just put them in the top of the cage and let they play - I put their food and water out there with them.

Louella

7. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    I started taking mine out at 2 weeks for two or three hours to play in the run whenever it was high 60's or 70ish as long as it was sunny. I live in southwestern PA so that's about all we can hope for this early in may. They've never seemed or acted cold but they would move from the shady side of the run to the sunny side to sleep but always fanned out. The other day it was beautiful outside and I had them out and cleaned all the dust and vacuumed my living room and decided it was time for them to move to the coop. They are 2 and 3 weeks old now. They love being outside and I love my house being clean...lol. So that day I put the final touches on the coop, moved the heat lamp down there and turned it on about 5 so it would start warming up the ground as it was going down to the low 40's that night. About 7 I went down to check on them figuring I would have to go back down when it got dark to put them in the coop, well when I got there they were all in the coop already some sleeping some eating some playing but all in there so I figured instead of having to round them up I would close them up for the night. And after a sleepless night (on my part) they all did fine overnight. Now yesterday was nasty and cold so they didn't get to go outside at all but I think they're tougher than we give them credit for.

8. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Thanks everyone!!! I can't wait to take them outside. It is beautiful here today - 75 and sunny! I'll have to take pics! [​IMG]

9. I took ours out today, they are 5 week olds. They munched on some grass etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by