Question about the Marek's vaccine

SmiifKoqla

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2020
So I have three eggs that are most likely going to hatch tomorrow, but I forgot that Marek's was even a thing and I remembered that I should probably vaccinate for that since I intend on selling most of the chicks! I have three in this batch that are gonna be hatching, and my question is that if you have your birds isolated inside from your other birds, is it still effective to give them the vaccine past their first day? I keep reading that it isn't useful if they already have contracted it, but these eggs came from an isolated flock as well, and if I'm careful with my hand washing and keeping them isolated until I vaccinate them, can it still work???

If anyone is able to provide me with some advice/ answers that would be great cause I have no idea how I could google a question like this, hah.

So I have three eggs that are most likely going to hatch tomorrow, but I forgot that Marek's was even a thing and I remembered that I should probably vaccinate for that since I intend on selling most of the chicks! I have three in this batch that are gonna be hatching, and my question is that if you have your birds isolated inside from your other birds, is it still effective to give them the vaccine past their first day? I keep reading that it isn't useful if they already have contracted it, but these eggs came from an isolated flock as well, and if I'm careful with my hand washing and keeping them isolated until I vaccinate them, can it still work???

If anyone is able to provide me with some advice/ answers that would be great cause I have no idea how I could google a question like this, hah.

For reference, they will be kept inside until they are at least at their juvenile stage and too big to stay inside, that's why I wanna know if I could still vaccinate them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

This article says up to three days, as long as you can keep dander away (like from your clothes).

To note, I personally would like vaccinated chicks, but many many people either don’t care/think about it or are actually opposed to it for their flocks. Also, the vaccine gets a little pricey per bird if you only have 3 chicks ...?

Well I also have potentially five other chicks hatching later this month that my hen is sitting on, so I'd like to give it to them as well.

Once reconstituted, the vaccine is no good after an hour. It would be great if it lasted longer!!. Not saying to not do it, just things to consider.

Back
Top Bottom