Question about things they CANNOT eat

Layer feed was developed for birds living in cages and producing high numbers of eggs per week, and eating nothing else. It's not meant for young birds, or hens when molting, or to be supplemented by lots of other food items and treats.
It's best to feed a chick feed, or an all- flock feed like Flock Raiser, with oyster shell and grit in separate containers, and then limit the amount of 'other stuff' that you offer, so the bulk of their diet is the balanced feed.
Birds who can 'free range' in a varied environment will get good stuff too, but still the majority of their diet is that chicken feed.
When you buy feed, ALWAYS check the mill date on each bag, so it's going to be fed within six or eight weeks of milling. Fresh matters!
With only three birds, get the smaller bags of feed!
Mary

I feed my birds anything and everything that is unfit for human consumption, unless it's more than two colours, fuzzy enough to pet, or unidentifiable. I do not have issues with birds dropping dead or being in ill health. They free range and have layer pellets or molasses grain available at all times. A bit of a non-standard approach compared to everyone else on here, I know, but eating 'everything but the kitchen sink' is one of the reasons why I have chickens. Flock size might matter---with 50 birds, anything that might be potentially toxic gets spread over a large number instead of 3 birds able to eat at leisure.

Again, I'm not going to recommend this approach over the scientifically backed one, but I figured I'd mention it because it works for me and my flock.

We typically save all this stuff in one of those under the sink compost bins, then go dump it in the corner of the yard when it is all black mushy stuff.
For some reason, that does not sound too good to me:sick
I would toss out "fresh" scraps daily and not let it sit until it's a black mushy mess.

Also the photo at the top of that post shows big pieces of broccoli and kale in a suet feeder. So I guess that person didn't chop the veggies?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-treat-chart—the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens.47738/

Veggies in a suet basket are "stable" enough for chickens to nip/peck off pieces. I usually hang up cabbage, kale, apple, broccoli or cauliflower - my flock picks off pieces. Like @ChickenCanoe mentioned, it depends on what it is. Each bird and/or flock is different, mine will not touch carrots period no matter how it's given, shredded, diced, whole or cooked :hmm So I just don't give it. I do chop up veggies if I want to scatter it or I don't have large enough pieces suitable for hanging. I make pieces and quantity small enough that the veggies/fruit is easy to eat and consumed before the day is over - I don't want to find anything moldy in my runs.

We all do things differently so find what works for you.
https://hencam.com/faq/compost-in-the-chicken-run/

BC, I'll bet that the 'other stuff' that you feed per bird wouldn't compare with the OP's plans for those three birds!
Mary
I've tossed everything she's mentioned into the chicken bucket at one time or another. Well, except the pepper stems, unless they fell in by accident, lol!

I wasn't clear; I meant amount per bird! Mine get some kitchen scraps too, fresh, and in amounts that count as treats.
Mary
Oh, that makes more sense. That's possible---their daily scrap quota is usually less than a gallon bucket full, depending on what all comes out of the kitchen. They eat 1.5 gallons of feed besides that. Occasionally they get all they can eat scraps, like a crate of stale bread from the bakery, but that's only a few times per year.

Everything compostable goes in my deep litter run including coffee grounds and the paper filters, citrus, avocado, onion scraps, the leftover food in my cat's bowl... a lot of the stuff I've heard you should never put in there. I toss it in right after meal prep. Nothing bad has happened.

I have 5 chickens who have flock raiser, grit and oyster shell available all the time. They are free to pick through or ignore what I toss in. Either way, it gets composted in the litter. They don't eat most of the stuff I listed above (though they do love oranges and cat food), they just scratch it in and bury it.

Back
Top Bottom