Question about this “Ameraucana”

If I may ask, how are they sexlinks?
I have barred hens (barred rocks, CA Grey, and Delaware) bred to my lavendar ameraucana rooster. The barring gene is inherited by the male offspring but not the females so they come out looking like this (male on left and female on right)
20210620_150516.jpg

If I may ask, how are they sexlinks?
Sex links can be created by combining any barred hen with a solid bodied, non barred rooster. Because my rooster is lavendar none of his female offspring have leakage, they are just solid black. The only give away that they are mixed is that their legs and feet are the wrong color and their eggs will be green. They are also a tiny bit bigger bodied than my pure ameraucanas but you can't really tell unless you hold one in each hand :plbb

Edit to add: my sex links bred from a barred hen that lays white eggs (CA Grey for example) will still lay blue, albeit a more pale shade of blue.

Sex links can be created by combining any barred hen with a solid bodied, non barred rooster. Because my rooster is lavendar none of his female offspring have leakage, they are just solid black. The only give away that they are mixed is that their legs and feet are the wrong color and their eggs will be green. They are also a tiny bit bigger bodied than my pure ameraucanas but you can't really tell unless you hold one in each hand :plbb
Does this work with cuckoo or just barred?

I'd confidently guess she's an EE. Her beard especially looks very EE-like. But if she ends up pure black and lays blue eggs I may tentatively say black Ameraucana.
My thoughts too. It starts to cross in a moral grey area of sorts. If it's an EE with Ameraucana traits and of a recognized variety, can it be called an Ameraucana? Same debacle as if non-bearded d'Uccles should be called Booted Bantams. I know everyone has different opinions on these issues but as long as they aren't being used for breeding, I don't see any harm in calling it by the name personally. :)

My thoughts too. It starts to cross in a moral grey area of sorts. If it's an EE with Ameraucana traits and of a recognized variety, can it be called an Ameraucana? Same debacle as if non-bearded d'Uccles should be called Booted Bantams. I know everyone has different opinions on these issues but as long as they aren't being used for breeding, I don't see any harm in calling it by the name personally. :)
I totally agree.

Back
Top Bottom