Question about turning eggs (for all you BYC experts :) )

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Ok here's my dilemma. I have bantam chickens (obviously). So far, almost all of my eggs have been pullet eggs, with the exception of one hen. Everyone of my eggs has at least pipped by day 19, with the exception of a few late bloomers. I have 1 egg, and 1 only, that is in my incubator, is a pullet egg, and is due to hatch (by 21 days), on the 25. I am unsure if I should go with the 'banties hatch at 19' theory that I have heard from other people. (Even one of my hens that was setting on pullet eggs hatched on the 19th day.) I am expecting this egg to hatch by tuesday the 23rd.

Should I stop turning it now, when it is not technically due till Thursday?

If I do stop turning, and it decides to hatch on time, how will this affect the chick?

If I don't stop turning, and it hatches early, how will this affect it?

Last edited:
I would imagine you can stop turning it now... turning is to help ensure that developing embryos do not stick to the side and according to many this is only crucial for the first week or so.... so you should be well into the clear now
smile.png

Quote:
That's what I thought, but since it's the only egg I have set to hatch this time, I want to try to make sure I don't mess it up!! I set 6 total, and 5 were not fertile.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom