Question about turning eggs.

haruah

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
Hello, I'm not sure if this question has been answered or not. I looked around for a bit and couldn't find an exact answer so:

How many degrees do you turn the eggs when they're incubating?

I've read various website articles and they all say "put an X and O on two sides and turn 3x a day". I also read that the automatic egg turner turns eggs about 30 degrees every 4 hours, which means 180 degrees total in 24 hours.

So what I'm wondering is if I turn my eggs every 8 hours, should I turn them about 60 degrees or 180?

I am no expert, but my understanding is that you have an "X" on one side, and an "O" on the other side .... each time you turn, you have either the "X" showing, or the "O" showing. That way you always now if you have turned each egg.

when you lie them on their sides you roll them over 180 like kathyinmo said.

most egg turners tilt them rather than turn or roll them...they sit pointy end facing downwards and if you imagine a vertical 0 degrees line, tilt them 30 (or so) degrees to one side of the line, then 30 degrees to the other side (or to 330 degrees, whatever makes you happier).

see here: http://www.nrg-co.com/uk/images/negoce/incubateurs/andromeda.jpg

you
should be turning them 3 times a day minimum, it's not about number of degrees, it's about keeping them moving so they don't stick to the shell. 5 or 7 is better but turn them an odd number of times so they spend each night (not being turned) on alternate sides.

hth

Last edited:
post pics afterwards or we kill you
wink.png

I have heard that you should turn them an odd number of times but ignored it because I could not think of a rational reason why. I just got done hatching 6 eggs that I marked with a plus and a minus on alternate sides I turned them to the plus at 12 noon and midnight and to the minus at 6 am and 6 pm. because there are five people in the house there was never a question as too whether the eggs had or had not been turned by using this method. They were turned four times a day and did not come out dizzy or afraid of the dark so I guess their OK.
smile.png

I read some where that a hen will turn each egg an average of 93 times a day and I am sure she doesn't keep track of which end is up at night
jumpy.gif

just be sure to turn them a few times each day until day 18 and all should be fine.
Good Luck
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom