Question about when to give Merke's vaccine..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hennypen, May 18, 2010.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    The majority of chicks were born yesterday morning. The rest this morning so technically they're one day apart. The instructions say to give the vaccine to one day old chicks. Can two day old chicks get it or is that too late? What about 12 hour chicks? I need to give them all at the same time. Does it make that much difference?

Do new born chicks require vaccinations?

If so, what is it and what is the dose?

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    If I had to do the new chickie thing all over again I would vaccinate for Marek's. I have lost 2 of my original 9 to that disease, and possibly another. Also one more that has it and is blind in one eye.

Check the web for places to buy it. They send directions with it.

I just vaccinated all my older birds last night. 35 of them. Some say the vaccine may stop the disease from manifesting, but it won't stop them from contracted it or spreading it. So some don't want to vaccinate. Bit I can live with birds that are carriers a lot better than I can live with birds that are dead.

3. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
  4. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    It's coming today. [​IMG] w/the smallest gage needle I could find.

I noticed it said give to day old chicks only. Why does it have to be day old chicks? What counts as a day old? Most hatched yesterday morning but one hatched this morning. Can I give it to all of them even though one is technically a day behind? What does a day matter? They're still in the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by