Question about wood!

cajunhillbilly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 22, 2010
Dover, Arkansas
Ok I have aquired alot of wood from an old feed and grain company that was torn down. this lumber is rough cut and untreated. I want to use it to build a coop and frame out a run! How do I go about making this wood last being its not treated and will be in the elements? Do I prim and paint or put Thompsons waterseal on it or what? I accept all opinions, and criticism!!!!

I don't know much about woods but I used the paint with primer (Behr). I guess you can use the watersealed one's just like one that can be used for decks I suppose. Good luck and keep us posted about your new project.

I have 2 coops now, both made out of rough cut pine/hemlock and a little of locust. I use the locust on the bottom the coop, the wood closes to the ground. When I was done I applied Thompson seal to the exterior of the coops. I let it air out for a good week or so before I put the birds in them. You can see a picture of one on my BYC page.

I think it would be your own preference on what you want your coop to look like. I like the "natural, weathered" look you get from not painting it. If you are going to paint it, I would put a prime on it before you do.

Kaj

In Arkansas I'd bet most of the wood will last w/o any treatment at all - just look at some of the old barns still standing.

the real key though is where the wood touches the ground. For 2 reasons.

1) when it rains the water will soak into the ground & stay there touching your wood. this will quickly rot it. Even treated wood sometimes has trouble with this.

2) bugs - ants LOVE WET WOOD! they will eat it up. If you are in a termite area like I am its just as bad.

Beyond that - its up to you.

Keep in mind - there will likely be more moisture in the inside of the coop than the outside. chickens exhale a ton of water. make sure the coop is well ventalated & it will last for ever.

If the wood is in good shape, I'd just prime and maybe paint it. If the wood is somewhat soft, apply a wood hardener first then prime/paint. The Thompson's may not allow paint to adhere, but I've never tried it to know for sure. The can would tell you if you can paint over it.

kilz exterior paint - oil based, may work alright. Or you could put concrete footings in and use metal connectors to lift the posts off the concrete and then paint the wood.

If it is old roughsawn barn siding IN VERY GOOD SHAPE I would be tempted to leave it nekkid, perhaps filling old nailholes if they are egregiously numerous or large.

If it is old roughsawn barn siding in so-so shape, or thin wood, it would probably be best to paint it but you need to know that it will be a BEAR of a job, because roughsawn lumber uses up HUGE quantities of paint and is also a pain in the butt to get thoroughly covered (unless you know someone with a sprayer system).

If it is old roughsawn barn siding in poor shape, paint won't rescue it, just let it gracefully die elsewhere (or use it for something non-structural, like a shade structure or windbreak).

As others have said, don't use it for ground-contact things (or even wet-weeds-contact or bedding-or-mud-may-pile-up-against-part-of-it contact).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
Agree, none of ours are painted unless the board had paint on it when I nailed it up. Most of the rough lumber I used is already 40+ years old. I expect it to outlast me and I ain't paintin' none of it, just keeping it off the ground where I can.

Thank yall for the info and opinions, I greatly appreciate it!!! Will post pics when we get started, after the snow melts so we can see the ground again...lol

Just my two cents worth ( as a lics. contractor) As stated previously, would probably outlast you like it is as long as it is not in ground contact, but on the safe side you could clean it of all loose dirt and apply a good oil-based exterior stain. Semi-transparent lets the grain of the wood show through . Important to apply 'specially to any end grain or cut edges. Don't say I reccomended it but what works really well is what we always termed "Arkansas Wood Stain" which is a mix of one part burnt motor oil and one part diesel. Makes a really dark stain but sheds water likea duck's back! Last for years too. EPA frowns on it's use tho. Let's see some pics of whatever you use, it is awesome to recycle wood and give it another chance to live again. My house is partially built ( interior) of wood from an old house circa 1926 that I bought for the tidy sum of $1 and tore down.

Back
Top Bottom