Question AND laugh

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sparkles2307, May 18, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Ok first off, is it REALLY 28 days for ducks to hatch? UGH I thought 21 was a long time!

Ok #2...our neighbor, mister "I-know-everything-cause-I-came-out-farming" was over last night. The drake needed some attention so I was holding him and letting the kids pet him. He is a saxony drake...SAME color pattern as a mallard, just in greys instead of greens/blues. The neighbor gets this "I'm about to make you look silly" tone and asks "and just how do you know that the one you're holding is the male and not the female?" .... REALLY?!? Like you havent shot who knows how many wild ducks in your life? How do you get to be 55 years old and not see a PICTURE of male and female ducks....when you live ON A FARM??? I just stood there with my mouth open for a minute, trying not to laugh...it was hard...

2. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    if it was an adult drake...hmm...he's a bit slow...some breeds it's hard to tell until full grow, but if it has a green head, chances are it's a boy! HAHAHAHAHAHA...oh well!

and yes it's 28 days...long I know...[​IMG]

3. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

Twenty eight days is only long if you are not waiting for Muscovy eggs (33-35 days).

4. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Oh goodness that IS long! Well she better stay motivated, I waited 3 weeks just for her to decide to go broody...and Sax keeps trying to get her off of there by sitting outside of the pen and quacking so forlornly.... She will be SUPPER if she gets off those eggs....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by