Question for all you smart folks here!

FortWorthChicks

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Fort Worth
I put a Silkie roo (adopted) in with my 4 ameracaunas and one light brahma. Will he be ok? I dont want them to pick on him because he is smaller.

If they do I will pull him out and change my order to a few silkie pullets for him and figure out another run and small coop for them! lol my husband has no idea whats on my mind. !

Also I have a rooster now but I dont want some mixed up chicks silkieXbrahma or ameracauna... so is it cool to eat the eggs when you have a rooster around? :S

He should be ok, but just keep an eye on him. There will be a little bit of pecking to establish the pecking order. Yes you can eat the eggs
big_smile.png

My husband was mentioning that the first thing.. and it sounded interesting!! I think that sounds interesting. I am afraid of the ameracaunas picking at him though. Fancy-Pants my Light Brahma is my sweetheart and so maybe I should keep those!! Very interesting!

I wonder if my Ameracaunas will be picking on him though.... today when he came in he seemed to want to let them know he was now the boss but two of them pecked some of his feathers right off his head
sad.png

I like the idea Fancy-Pants and Enous (we named him after my dad) chicks... how cute would that be.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Im crazy... but it sure is fun.

just read the other posts and am thinking as long as they dont bully him and he asserts himself as king of the castle we will see about some interesting chicks!

I got one bantam that hangs with my neighbors chickens sometimes, gets pecked and bitten a lot.

We have two roos...an EE and a blue silkie. The blue silkie positively cannot be put out in the run with the hens and he has been incredibly aggressive (several times making the EE bloody) with the EE roo. The silkie roo chases the EE roo around a 1/4 acre run and fights terribly...such a Napolean complex! So the silkie roo is in a separate A-frame coop with his hen, Jenna, and a rotating stock of other hens from the flock. I will put other hens in the A-frame if they are being excessively feather picked by the flock...at least until they get some feathers back. The silkie roo is fine with the girls but awful with another roo.

Ok well... that sounds like trouble... lucky for him he is the only king in his castle and I don't want any more roo's. Truth is I wouldn't have taken him if he was a larger breed but he was sad and picked on and Im such a sucker. Soon as I heard he was being picked on by the larger breed roo's it was a done deal for me.
smile.png
I hope he is happy with his hens. And I hope they act like ladies and respect him even with his flamboyant feathers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom