Question for Ameraucana owners

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
My newest chicks were hatched July 31, so they are now about 7 weeks old. I have two Ameraucanas and two red sex-linked pullets.

The Ameraucanas seem to be very stand offish and more skiddish than the others. Are they normally like this???

We have 2 Americauna's that are about 10 weeks. They are more skittish around the other hens, but very sweet with us. Our 7 year old daughter likes to hold them, and they seem to like it too. When they are out in the yard, they tend to stick right where we are. They are my favorites. Not sure if it's because we have had them since the were just chicks, but they are so cute and very sweet!

I have four Ameraucana hens and a rooster. They are much more skittish than my wyandottes but I got the Ameraucanas at five months old so it is not a fair comparison since I have had the other ones since they were a month old. I just move slowly around them and sit with them in their pen a little each day so they get more and more used to me. The other thing that I am noticing is that the wyandottes are getting less and less "flighty" as they are approaching point of lay. They hang around me more when they are out free ranging and allow me to approach them. It may just take some time for them to get older and spending some time with them will help.

I need to just be patient I am sure. The red sex links are coming right up to me now. So.... it will just take some more time.

My "big" chickens are great, they are very friendly and easy to pick up. They are Barred Rock that I got when they were about 5 days old.

I have 3 EE's who were day old chicks when we got them. They are skittish. One is very shy and is terrified of the others...she does not get down on the ground...stays on the roost in the run or on top of the hutch I use for a Jail or in a nesting box. They are very loving and talk to me a lot...love to be held and stroked.

I want some Ameraucanas
droolin.gif
Maybe next Spring.

We have 3 ameracaunas that we got when they were 7 months old. One is standoffish, but the other two follow my DH like puppies. One of them loves to be picked up and snuggled, but the other more friendly one doesn't particularly care to be held. They are very talkative though and always come over and chat with me (bok bok bok) when I go out in the yard. they are the only chickens we ever had and we think they are pretty sweet!

Back
Top Bottom