Question for anyone who may know?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Pyrates4Poultry, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Pyrates4Poultry

Pyrates4Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    Weed, California
    I have heard that you should keep a freshly slaughtered bird refrigerated for 24-48 hours prior to eating or to freeze the bird immediately after slaughter. Does anyone know why we are told to do this? My real question being why would it not be a good idea to slaughter and put the bird directly into the pan for cooking after gutting, de-feathering etc.?

2. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Resting the bird in the refridgerator for a few days gives it time for the fibers to break down a bit so the meat is tender instead of tough. I don't know why anyone would recommend freezing it right away before it's been rested.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I have made the mistake of cooking a freshly butchered bird. They are horribly tough, the meat is still in rigamortis (hope I spelled that right) and needs a day or two in the fridge for the muscle to relax.

4. Pyrates4Poultry

Pyrates4Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    Weed, California
    Thank you. That makes sense.[​IMG]

5. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I hear that freezing kills bacteria in the bird. [​IMG]

6. If I want to cook them within a few hours I will cool them down in Ice water, then put them in the Refrigerator till I am ready to cook them.

7. WinklerFarms

WinklerFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Central Minnesota
    that is only in a deep freeze and it has to be frozen for a long enough time...somewhere I have a table that shows how long at each temp it has to be frozen. i will try to find it.

I know that just freezing it for a day or two will not kill the bacteria. Likewise, bacteria will survive being frozen in a fridge/freezer combo freezer. The best way to be sure anyways is to cook any poultry to a minimum of 160 with 165 or higher being ideal.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    When animals die, the muscles go into rigor mortis. You have to wait for the rigor to pass, or the meat will be tough. If you are super quick, you might be able to get the bird processed and into the frying pan before rigor starts, but you would have to be a really fast chicken processor.

It's OK to refrigerate for 2 days and then freeze. Or you can freeze immediately and leave the bird in the fridge to thaw for a couple of days before cooking. Whichever way you do it, keep the meat well chilled. Don't leave it sitting around at room temperature for any longer than is necessary to get it processed.

If you keep the meat chilled, you don't have to worry about bacteria on the meat. Cook it until it is done, don't lick the raw chicken, wash your cutting board and knife, and don't get raw chicken into contact with things you are going to eat raw. The same as you should be handling chicken from the store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by