Question for discussion

2goose

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Chickens are born knowing all they need to know.
Example-- they know were the food is, where the water is, and that bugs are good to eat.

We, nor their mothers don't need to" teach" them anything. All we need to do is provide them with a safe environment.

There's literally no question in there.
wink.png

I had to teach mine not to sleep in the nesting boxes and teach them to sleep on the roost but that was about it. I've also read that you can teach them not to poop in the house, so I've read, not going to test that one out.

My great moms taught the little ones how to bathe, how to scratch, where to find the good food, how to look out for strangers, where to find water, that it's OK to sleep on the big girls' roost when you're still a half-pint. Most things chicks know by instinct, but I think their skills are greatly improved with a proper parent.

20110901_Pumpkins019-1.jpg

Quote:
^^^This.....I think they will eventually start doing what they need to do by instinct but with a mother hen they learn to do these things much younger & quicker.

I think most people dip the chicks beaks in the water and food to show them where it is when they first get them. That's teaching. The chicks are just very fast learners and catch on quickly.

Back
Top Bottom