Question For Rat Owners :)

Justino

♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫
12 Years
Dec 21, 2007
KY
So I have had 2 pet rats for about 2 or 3 weeks now, and they were babies when I got them and man they have gotten big fast!
big_smile.png

But in 11 days I leave to go on vacation to Hawaii, and I am really worried that when I come back they will not be as friendly as when I left...
My grandma will be pet sitting for us, and will be down every day to feed them, but she is not too fond of rats so wont hold them or anything....

So yeah, just wondering what your experiences with leaving your rats for periods of time have been like.

Thank you!
smile.png

I don't think we ever left that long when we had our rats...
They are such friendly critters... ours would even come like a dog when you called them
smile.png

If you can ask your grandmother to put them in a place she frequents... maybe the living room where she watches TV...
and talk to them periodically... they should do fine...

Anymore questions... just ask... I ADORED my rats when we had them... after them, my daughter wanted mice (bad idea), and now hamsters (cute)

I will always love the rats and they are my favorite rodents.

Rats are very sociable and very smart (good memory too). I've never had a rat be unfriendly after a trip before. I have had them leap out and run all over me In ratty glee. XD

If your grandmother isn't comfortable with handling the rats (I know mine would have a bird!) then if she could at least talk to them daily. They are such loving critters, my former housemate and I raised his rats from birth, literally, because of an accident. They are the best little rattie dog wannabees who adore people snuggles and attention.

If only you had some rattie lovers in the area! I know I've rat-sat for my housemate and also my sister's ratties, and they were just a joy. Because being a rat sitter means I get to snuggle ratties!
lol.png

They will be friendly as before i have left my rats alone tons of time when I'm on vacation(my grandma watches them) She isn't afraid of them she just doesn't hold them unless I'm there. If your so worried ask her to be near there cage and just talk to them. I am glad you have two rats they are wonderful pets. I have two female rats they are getting old though probably around 2 years old right now. Hope they live long though.

Last edited:
They might give you stink eye when you get beck or they may run to you and brux like crazy.

There will not be lasting harm for an 11 day +/- trip.

(I was in the hospital for nearly two months and my rat sitters did not handle them, they were fine- the rat sitters did transfer them to a cat carrier to clean the cage the twice it -really- needed it in that time.)

Each of my babies had a different reaction, form indifference to love to pouting...

For three/four day trips I let them know ahead of time and leave extra food and two water bottles (that don't leak) per rat and extra bedding and toys. (cat and bird toys work great)

My DD has 12 rats. When we went to St. Louis for 3 days dad rat sit and chicken sit too. He doesnt handle the rats except when one of us are holding them so all he did was feed and water. When she got home I dont think they stpooed talking and kissing her for an hour. By the way DH also hatched chicks and ducks that weekend. They were early
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom